Thunderbird Profile can't restore

AllThumbs 15:11 21 Mar 06

Hi folks,

Hard drive was dying so I backed everything up including mail and favs and all that. Installed a new drive and XP and am currently putting everything back.

I tried using Mozilla's guides to restore my profiles for Firefox and Thunderbird but had no luck with either.

Firefox I've sidestepped by using the Manage bookmarks to import data.

But Thunderbird won't take the Profile, won't accept the path I try and lead it to, and I've tried once just pasting it in to replace the current profile (the vanilla one created by a fresh install) and that won't work.

Any ideas?

octal 17:45 21 Mar 06

Have you saved the profile as a folder which contains the folders, chrome, extensions, and mail? If you have the these then try dragging and dropping the profile folder in place of the present one.

Just a last thought, do you have ownership of the saved profile folder? I'm not sure about XP but I would think its in properties for the folder.

AllThumbs 18:30 21 Mar 06

Cheers Octal,

Yeah I tried this. The problem with simply replacing the vanilla Profile with the one I saved is that it simply doesn't recognise it's there. It tries to take me through the import data from Outlook express or one of 3 other named email apps.

Also the data that sits in the directory with the Profile directory includes a whole bunch of stuff that may well be registry related and such things don't enjoy mix 'n' match approaches in my experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5