Thunderbird problem

jonmac 22:19 31 May 07

I installed Thunderbird last autumn, imported all my email messages to date into it from OE but didn't make it the default programme, nor did I use it from then to now.
The other day I uninstalled it, deleted the folder in Programmes then downloaded and installed the latest version. To my surprise it contained all of last autumns aggregate total of emails. When I imported the latest total emails to date from OE they, (inbox, sent items etc etc) were all placed in a folder called Outlook Express Mail. Last Autumn's ones are still there in the main Inbox etc. rather than being added to by the new import.
I don't understand what's going on. Why can't I get a fresh, empty, Thunderbird to import all my emails into?

beynac 22:52 31 May 07

The mail folders, and other settings, are not in the Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird folder. They are in Documents and Settings under your user name folder (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\...).

bretsky 23:12 31 May 07

First & foremost, you don't need to uninstall the old version, you just install new version over the top of.

"Why can't I get a fresh, empty, Thunderbird to import all my emails into?"..........because you have a Profile folder in C:\documents and settings\username\application data\thunderbird....which holds all you profile settings and email folders etc etc and that's why you don't need to uninstall your old version because you install new version with all your email folders and messages sent & received, ALL intact, that's the beauty of the program.

bretsky ;0)

jonmac 08:34 01 Jun 07

Thanks guys that's fixed it. Just to be on the safe side I uninstalled it again then changed the name of that Thunderbird folder to preserve it just in case.
Then I reinstalled it and lo and behold all was OK with all up to date emails in their proper locations.
Easy when you know how.
Many thanks again for your trouble, I'm a little bit wiser now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009