Thunderbird not sending emails

griffon 56 17:18 19 Jan 06

I use AVG as proxy which might have something to do with it, but if I write an email offline and save it in DRAFTS it appears to go when I press SEND after going on line, but tho' the dialogue box says the mail has been sent to 127.0.0.1, the proxy, it doesn't say it's being delivered. Sure enough intended addressees say that they don't get the email. Anybody else suffer from this, and what's the solution please?

VoG II 17:23 19 Jan 06

127.0.0.1 is 'localhost' - your computer. That is why they are not being sent. But I don't know what the root cause is.

griffon 56 17:44 19 Jan 06

Thank you VOG, I knew about 'localhost' but if T'bird is online when I write an email and press SEND, the message gets sent to 127.0.0.1 and in the following instant, a report in the same dialogue box says that the email has been successfully delivered. That doesn't happen in the offline case. It's irritating because the DRAFT box gets emptied so the email is lost, the addressee doesn't reply because they never get the mail and you can't ask them what was in it for the same reason! Help.

Stuartli 17:49 19 Jan 06

Normally a draft message in Thunderbird has to be opened and the composing completed before you send it.

It shouldn't be sent before that.

I have several messages in my Draft folder which have been there for some time as I use it as a form of Sticky Notes...:-)

griffon 56 09:08 20 Jan 06

Thanks Stuartli. I did open the email in DRAFTS before I sent it when I noticed the diffferent information in the resulting dialogue box. It's only a suspicion that the message hasn't gone because of earlier failures when I was first using T'bird, and I can't get the recipient on the phone to check.

When the problem arose earlier I took to copying the Draft into a new message, but this was unwieldy and I thought someone might have a workaround.

Thanks again.

dms05 09:52 20 Jan 06

I've just tried exactly the same procedure - Write, Save a Draft, Open Draft, Edit Draft, Send and it worked first time.

I'd worry more about the 127.0.0.1 as you are sending to yourself! Under Tools / General the Local Host 127.0.0.1 is specified by going to Connection / Manual Proxy. I have 'Direct Connection to the Internet' selected. Do you have Manual selected?

griffon 56 10:20 20 Jan 06

Thanks dms05. The reason that the computer sends first to itself is that AVG is set up as a proxy server which stands between 127.0.0.1 and the ISP.

All outgoing and incoming emails are thus scanned before they get either to the outside world or to 127.0.0.1.

The problem is that if you're offline and press SEND Thunderbird thinks that when it has sent the email to 127.0.0.1 it's done its job and promptly gets rid of it. It doesn't put it in the SENT box because it hasn't been delivered and it deletes it from DRAFTS, so you're knackered.

Stuartli, I think that I mis-stated the problem at first, it's better put in that last sentence. T'bird doesn't go online from offline automatically when SEND is pressed, unlike OE6 which calls up Dialup Connection and away you go.

Unless anybody knows otherwise, that is.

dms05 16:14 20 Jan 06

I've tried to reproduce your conditions (I use AVG as well). I can't!

If, in Thunderbird, you go to File>Work Offline>Offline Settings - you can change what happens to the emails when you go Online from Offline.

No matter what I do with those settings I can't reproduce your problem - Draft/Edit/Send Later puts the email in the Outbox AND leaves a copy of the unamended draft in Draft!

Sending automatically when switching to Online just sends the email and AVG checks at that point, not as Thunderbird saves whilst Offline

Stuartli 16:30 20 Jan 06

I have Thunderbird and, if I open it or Firefox after I bootup, my BB connection is automatically established.

My default is Always Dial my Default Connection (in Internet Explorer's configuration, which is retained on my system).

griffon 56 16:39 20 Jan 06

Thanks everyone. Sorry I set a hare running, the intended recipient of the 'lost' email has just replied, so my face is very red, but I've learned a lot and I'll set my machine up following your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…