Thunderbird and New ISP Probs

AngeTheHippy 12:18 20 Aug 07

Morning Chaps,
I've just migrated to a new ISP and have a question re. Thunderbird. I do NOT want to lose all the messages I've received/sent via the old ISP - can anyone tell me please, where they are all kept? The reason I'm asking is, although I've set up the new ISP mail addresses, and I CAN receive to them if I enter the passwords each time, as soon as I open the client its default seems to always go to the previous ISP. Also, I canot seem to send from new addresses as when lick 'send' it just automatically tries to send via old ISP, even though I've set the main address as default. This is the reason I wanted to trace and keep all old messages, so I could (hopefully) delete all the old ISP configs on Thunderbird and start afresh. Or doesn't it work that way? Does this make sense?

AngeTheHippy
xx

uesquebeathus 12:36 20 Aug 07

if you have not tried it mozbackup can be downloaded from here
click here
it can backup and restore settings and email

before the locations of profile can be seen you will have to view hidden files, click on "my computer"/ then "tools"/then "folder options"/ then "view"/ then put a dot in the (show hidden files and folders )make sure that when finished you reverse and put the dot into ( do not show hidden files and folders )

full details of the Profile storage and locations can be found here
click here

Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\

on Windows XP/2000 or C:\users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\ on Windows Vista, and the rest should be obvious

* On Windows Vista/XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. .
* On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

AngeTheHippy 12:54 20 Aug 07

but as I've not done this before, will it actually back up ALL the messages from the old ISP too? Will it be possible do you know to read the messages separately from Thunderbird? I hope this is clear, I don't make sense sometimes.... 8-D

x

brundle 13:20 20 Aug 07

If the messages you're referring to have been downloaded into Thunderbird, yes they will all be backed up.

AngeTheHippy 14:08 20 Aug 07

so - will I be able to READ them as is, I mean without going through Thunderbird?

x

brundle 14:15 20 Aug 07

When you say `as is`, how do you read them now? Do you go to a webpage?

AngeTheHippy 14:27 20 Aug 07

I've just d/loaded Mozbackup, and this doesn't seem at all to be the thing I want. I want to keep as records all the emails I've received,(through Thunderbird) but I want to DELETE all info and setting from Thunderbird of previous ISP. I think if I do that, each time I open Thunderbird, it won't keep trying to log into old ISP instead of new one, even though I've made the NEW ISP the default.
As a test, I've just done a 'save as' email, deleted it from T/bird then tried to open it. It opens fine, and as far as I can see, it's NOT in my old ISP inbox, brundle.

x

brundle 14:34 20 Aug 07

OK, separate the notions of ISP,messages and accounts. Messages you already have in your TBird folders will be backed up by Mozbackup, they won't disappear if you change ISP. Your TBird still has old account information which is why it's trying to connect to your old ISP. Go into Tools/Account Settings, highlight your old account and select Server Settings, untick all 5 boxes under the second Server Settings heading in the middle of the page.That will disable the old account.
If you have accessed emails with your ISP using webmail and not downloaded them to TBird, they will disappear when you close your account. I think Mozbackup does what you require, you just need to adjust some settings in TBird.

griffon 56 13:49 21 Aug 07

Hi Ange,
I've been using Mozbackup for some time now and it saves ALL the emails you have downloaded from your ISP to a designated destination from which you can restore them when you've got another account up and running. All the actions needed to do this are in Mozbackup and self-explanatory.

DieSse 18:05 21 Aug 07

You don't need to do any backing up. Any messages in TBird will just stay there - there is nothing that will make them go away unless you personally delete them.

You just need to set up your new ISP settings correctly. Bear in mind particularly the SMTP setting MUST be changed to the new ISP.

You can keep picking up mail from more than one ISP however, by setting up two POP accounts.

I've done this on movimng from one ISP to another twicw in the last few years - without any problmes or email loss. In fact I still pick up mail from several old ISP accounts. You can choose them to go into one INbox - or one for each ISP (I use one for everything on POP mail, and a separate one for Hotmail and GMail)

DieSse 18:07 21 Aug 07

"You don't need to do any backing up." - well not for this issue - of course you should be backing up for the normal reasons!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac