Thunderbird and Firefox

Allan RISC OS user 10:27 18 Mar 08

I use the above and have had no problems, I have updated to the latest beta of Firefox and it appeared to be ok, but now when I click a link in Thunderbird it no longer opens a window in Firefox, so I have to copy and paste the address into Firefox, what has changed?

I have looked at the options and can see nothing there to change to make the link work as it did before.

Any help would be appreciated

Allan.

cocteau48 10:38 18 Mar 08

If you install Firefox version 3 it installs into a new separate folder from Firefox 2 so that you can run the two versions side by side. It does not over wright the version 2 originally on your system so unless you have physically removed the version 2 yourself then T'Bird is probably still linking to that version (2) and not the new version 3.

Allan RISC OS user 11:17 18 Mar 08

Thank you Cocteau48, but Please how do I get it to work, as I mentioned it was ok but has all of a sudden refused to link.

I did remove version two and have now re installed it but still not working.

Help

Gongoozler 11:30 18 Mar 08

Tools - Options - Advanced - System defaults. In the System Defaults box "Always check if Firefox is default browser at startup" click the "Check now" button. If Firefox beta isn't the default you will be prompted to make it so.

cocteau48 11:48 18 Mar 08

Although the two version sit side by side if you start to tinker with any attachments/add-ons/themes in Firefox 3 it does affect your profile which in turn affects both versions and you may find that certain things no longer work in version 2.
Uninstalling 3 and reinstalling 2 may still have left you with a profile which is corrupt - at least so far as version 2 is concerned.
For issues regarding your profile and how to create a new one:
click here

Gongoozler 12:21 18 Mar 08

While this thread is open, has anybody found how to make changes to the columns in History - Show All History - Views - Show Columns permanent. I like to have the Visit Date showing, but haven't found how to make it stick.

Allan RISC OS user 17:07 18 Mar 08

I did not get any success with the above so have un-installed both firefox version 2 and the Beta, completely (yes everything) and restarted Windows XP and defraged the C drive and re installed Firefox Beta 3 but still Thunderbird does not seem to activate Firefox from links in emails.

I have also tried Outlook Express and Firefox, and Outlook Express with Internet Explorer with the same problem.

Allan RISC OS user 17:30 18 Mar 08

I have just received an update from Thunderbird and it has self installed and the links are back, Do not know how or why but all OK

Thanks to all who offered help

Allan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced