thunderbird e-mail

the old man 20:26 16 Jan 05

can anyone out there give me a walkthrough to set this thing up. Have tried numerous times but no luck. tries to access e-mails but no joy with password which is the correct one, honest. Please can someone help.

octal 20:31 16 Jan 05

A couple of quick questions, which ISP? And do you access your account at present, using for instance, Outlook Express? Because you may be able to compare the settings, Thunderbird is very similar.

the old man 20:35 16 Jan 05

ISP = PIPEX BB
O.E.6
Have gone that way as well.

LastChip 20:38 16 Jan 05

click here for a walk through.

Gongoozler 20:40 16 Jan 05

The easiest way with many ISP's is to download the settings for OE, and then let Thunderbird import them from there.

LastChip 20:45 16 Jan 05

The most likely reason is incorrect server settings and Pipex has some unique elements regarding that.

PPS I've been using Thunderbird with Pipex for almost a year now, with no problems, so if you want specific information, please post back.

iscanut2 20:46 16 Jan 05

I have been unable to get Thunderbird to accept my SMTP & POP3 password as currently in use with my present ISP. Whenever I input the password, I get a message to the extent that it cannot connect with my ISP server. I have set up the mail accounts exactly the same as on Outlook Express.I have queried this with my ISP ( Eclipse Broadband ) but they say thet cannot help as they do not support Mozilla. I have thus given up with Thunderbird for the time being unless anyone has any help tips etc..

Gongoozler 21:08 16 Jan 05

Although I'm using Thunderbird and like many aspects of it (especially the use of CTRL+ and CTRL- to change the displayed font size), I think for most people Outlook Express is better. What particularly annoys me with Thunderbird is the difficulty of handling archived emails. MozBackup is very good at archiving the emails and settings, but all that can then be done is to return them all to Thunderbird. In Outlook Express the emails can be put into an archive folder. The complete archive.dbx can then be saved, and the emails easily converted at a later date to .eml files and read in OE without overwriting the current folder contents. I frequently do this using DBXtract. I've been unable to find an equivalent for Thunderbird. Also in OE it's easy to change the location of the email store folder to somewhere more convenient. I don't think Thunderbird has this facility.

the old man 21:10 16 Jan 05

have deleted all accounts and set up new one with all settings from oe. password and all usernames, servers etc. correct. Just tried to access any e-mails via t/bird and got following
Sending of usernames did not succeed. Mail server pop.dial.pipex.com responded: Mate, try: USER <username>

the old man 21:35 16 Jan 05

have deleted all accounts and set up new one with all settings from oe. password and all usernames, servers etc. correct. Just tried to access any e-mails via t/bird and got following Sending of usernames did not succeed. Mail server pop.dial.pipex.com responded: Mate, try: USER <username>

LastChip 22:12 16 Jan 05

go to Tools; Account Settings and a window should open with your named account.

In the top box [Account Name] you can put anything you like as this simply displays the dialogue in Thunderbird. [Your Name] is what anyone else sees when they receive an e-mail from you and the [Email Address] is your Pipex address that you give to your friends. The [Reply-to Address] and [Organization] are optional and can be left blank.

Now click on [Server Settings] (left hand window) and this is where the most common errors occur. The [Server Name] is pop.dsl.pipex.com with a [Port] of 110 (default). The [User Name] is YOUR original Pipex random generated six digit; for example xyza10, to which is added %dsl and then .pipex.com So the whole example would look like this;

xyza10%dsl.pipex.com

This is the most common error spot, with either the % or dsl missed off, or full stops placed incorrectly. I have also seen comma's instead of full stops. An easy error, but hard to spot, so pay particular attention here.

The remaining sub-headings are irrelevant for the setting up of the server response. However, now go right to the bottom of the left side of the window and click on [Outgoing Server SMTP] and you should see; smtp.dsl.pipex.com with a port of 25.

Please confirm all these settings are correct, as if they are, you should have no problems connecting to Pipex. The only other thing I would check, is whether a Firewall or Anti-virus software is stopping your connection. If you are still having problems, it would be worth turning both these off and trying again briefly to make sure they are not the cause of your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…