Thunderbird AVG problem

geoff47 03:04 22 Oct 05

I have recently had a problem when opening Mozilla Thunderbird.Previously it has always started AVG and downloaded the mail then AVG has stopped.Now AVG continues to scan for a long time,and wont stop scanning when "stop" is clicked,it even continues after Thunderbird is closed.

Is it Thunderbird or AVG that needs fixing,and what should I do?
Many thanks for any suggestions.

Diodorus Siculus 17:37 22 Oct 05

Bump... or maybe a reinstall of one or the other, or even both!

geoff47 20:48 23 Oct 05

I have just had an update for AVG and this session it hasn't happened,so it may have been fixed.
I shall re install should it happens again,starting with AVG.
Many thanks

Stuartli 23:13 23 Oct 05

Try Avast! Just as efficient and updates itself automatically when you go online.

I switched from AVG after installing Avast! for a couple of computer newbie friends and liked it so much I bought the company...:-)

splork 23:24 23 Oct 05

Avast gives the closest shave

geoff47 00:09 25 Oct 05

Should I load it side by side or delete AVG first?

AVG has been good for a long time recommended on this site, but I will take advice on Avast.

Border View 10:17 25 Oct 05

I understood that it was not wise to run two anti virus alongside as conflicts can occur. I would uninstall AVG and then immediately install Avast. I can wholeheartedly recommend Avast, having used it since I dumped AVG 6

PaulB2005 10:19 25 Oct 05

Is it possible there is a huge e-mail waiting in your mailbox that might be causing AVG to behave like this?

Any way to check your mail box from another PC or via a webpage?

Batch 10:25 25 Oct 05

I've noticed similar behaviour (albeit with AVG and OE6). In my case, this arises when a task (e.g. downloading) is interrupted. AVG doesn't appear to detect this and doesn't quickly terminate - it times out after quite some while, long after the mail client has been stopped (and isn't anything to do with a large mail waiting in the wings). But doesn't seem to be any bad effects as a consequence.

geoff47 16:05 25 Oct 05

I dont think it was a large Email,I have uninstalled AVG and installed Avast.
It is not as user friendly as AVG but it did find 2 infections.
Thanks for the advice,I shall try and see if I can get along with it anyway.

i.tech 16:52 25 Oct 05

I've also been getting many problems with AVG lately - mainly that it won't update. I have also now switched to Avast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…