Thumbs.bd Can I remove or delete these files

Migwell 09:20 25 Apr 15

On py computer when looking in the My Pictures, all my photograph direstories have a little file after the last picture called Thumbs.db. Can I remove this file as there are loads of them clogging up my computer. Also how do I stop them appearing in future?

Ian in Northampton 09:27 25 Apr 15

I think I'm right in saying:

a) yes, there's no problem in deleting them - but sometimes, you just can't b) Not sure about 'clogging up' your computer, as they're tiny files (but if you're a "tidy freak" like me, it's annoying that they're there) c) I think Windows 'insists' on creating them, to make viewing thumbnails easier, and I'm not sure there's anything you can do to stop it. That said: this may be a fix.

Secret-Squirrel 09:45 25 Apr 15

" Also how do I stop them appearing in future?"

Go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> "View" tab. Tick the "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" option then click OK and those files will disappear and no longer annoy you.

Like others have said, those system files are actually quite useful and they'll soon return if you delete them. It's also not wise to have important operating system files viewable anyway.

Batch 12:21 25 Apr 15

Secret-Squirrel is right in saying "It's also not wise to have important operating system files viewable anyway."

A couple of observations though.

1. I find it very strange that an awful lot of what I would consider important operating system files are visible even when the setting Secret-Squirrel is referring to is set to Hide.

2. I don't really see what is so important about thumbs.db and the like that they need to be protected. Likewise album art .jpg files created by Windows Media Player.

Migwell 13:08 25 Apr 15

Thanks Ian in Northampton. I gave that a try but it said it could not find gpedit.msc I am using Windows 7, I take it that when it asked me Hit Win+R it was asking me to use the button with the Windows Logo on it next Alt on my HP keyboard. Thanks migwell

Secret-Squirrel 15:52 25 Apr 15

"I don't really see what is so important about thumbs.db and the like that they need to be protected."

I agree with what you've said Batch. That setting does however hide some extremely critical files such as the XP boot files in the root of C:.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now