Three-Way Firewire Splitter?

Anti_Virus 13:33 23 Jul 08

Hi. I have just purchased a Iomega eGo portable HDD. It has two ports on it, a USB, and a Firewire port. I was intending to use the Firewire port, as I am a bit pressed for space in terms of free USB ports on my Laptop, plus the added benefit of slightly better speeds with Firewire. However, the port on the HDD is a six pin, and my laptop only has a 4 pin. Now I know there are plenty of converters out there that enable you to plug a six pin into a four pin, but I can't use them. This is because the HDD doesn't actually come with a power supply. Instead it draws the power from the Fiewire ports / USB ports. And I do know that 4 pin Firewire hasn't the capabilities to supply power.

So, I was wandering if, instead of buying the power supply from Iomega, I could buy some sort of three way splitter that I could plug into wall socket to power the drive. While googling, the only one I could find was this:

click here

However that is no longer available to buy, and I can't find any others out there. Does anyone know of one I can buy? Your help and suggestions would be appreciated.

I am Spartacus 13:46 23 Jul 08

You don't mention how old your laptop is. If it has a cardbus (PCMCIA) port then one of these might work although I'm not sure about the power output click here_(i.Link)_PCMCIA_Card/product_info.html

If it has an express card slot then click here

Anti_Virus 13:55 23 Jul 08

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The laptop's very new. It's a Dell Latitude D630, and has a PCMCIA slot. However, i'm not ovverly keen on your suggestion. The gripe I have with it is that those cards are fairly pricy, and I was hoping that if I could get the three way splitter I'd be only buying a few cables, and would save money. Otherwise, I could just get the power supply from Iomea if it came down to it.

Thos cards also ad a bit of weight onto the paltop, and protude out of the side aa fair bit. If possible I'd like to avoid them.

Technotiger 13:57 23 Jul 08
  Ditch999 14:47 23 Jul 08

For $20 I think the Iomega mains adapter is your best bet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5