Three further silly questions.

Housten 15:20 18 Aug 14

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

Once again this old f*rt is looking for your assistance. The two questions are something I have never even thought about with regard to the first one, and it is only the purchase of a min-laptop that has made me realise that I do not know what I thought I knew! Whereas the second is just plain annoying me!!

I have used avast! free for some time now, and I like it. It works in the background and doesn’t intrude. OK, well just a little when it tells me that the database has been updated. But having just read some of the stuff with it, it seems to infer that it doesn’t have a firewall. Is this correct? I have had, I think, two problems which it drew my attention to and reading what it says it is doing the inference is – or is it just the ‘hopeful’ way I am interpreting it – that all the bases are being covered. But are they?

I do not like Microsoft, but I have turned off ‘Microsoft Security Essentials’ – which I thought was Microsoft’s firewall. As I have been using avast! free, as I have been doing, everything was OK; all the bases were covered, as avast! free has everything built in. But now I am not sure!! So should I turn on ‘Microsoft Security Essentials’, or leave it off as I have been doing until now. Is there anything else that I should be using or is it enough on its own?

Also this mini-laptop that I have purchased had many, many updates waiting to be downloaded and installed on it. But many of them – 34 in total!! – are “Windows 7 Language Packs”, but not one of them is for English. What I would like to do is to get rid of them, after all they range from 34.7 MB to 174.1 MB with the bulk of them coming in around the 50 – 60 MB range, and I see no reason to install any of them on the laptop. So my question is this : Is there a way of getting rid of these or somehow convincing Microsoft Update that you do not want any of them?

I am installing two updates to the laptop. One is 'Service Pack 1', and it has been installing this for something like half an hour - is this normal? Or I am being even more stupid?

Many thanks in advance for any advice or help anyone can give me.

Batch 18:35 18 Aug 14

If you don't want to download an update (in Windows Update) and want it to "go away", right click the update and you should see an option to Hide Update, select that and it won't show on the main screen again. There will be an option (on the left) to Restore Hidden Updates if you ever want them to be available again.

Avast Free does not include a firewall. However, Windows has its own firewall which should be active if no other firewall has been installed. Microsoft Security Essentials has AV capbilities (but again, as far as I know, no firewall). You should not have 2 AV products running as conflicts can arise. I'd stick with Avast as it is highly rated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 18 Aug 14

Use Avast and windows own firewall in any system since XP (XPs firewall is incoming only), XP will require a decent third party firewall.

Remove language packs

john bunyan 19:52 18 Aug 14

SP1 does take a long time. Surprised it was not installed months ago. I install all offered updates, they don't take up that much space. I use Windows Firewall with Avast. If you open the Action centre and expand the security button it will tell you which security software is in use, including firewall. Get rid of MSE if you have Avast.

BRYNIT 23:00 18 Aug 14

"but I have turned off Microsoft Security Essentials" If you still have Microsoft security Essentials on your computer I would uninstall it.

Everything else has been answered but if you want to get rid of that annoying voice that tell you your data base has been updated open Avast click on settings, scroll down and put a tick against silent gaming mode this will stop all popup/alerts.

Woolwell 10:10 19 Aug 14

You should remove Microsoft Security Essentials (if that is what it is). It is not a good to have 2 anti-virus on a system eg Avast and MSE. But are you sure that it is MSE. As far as I know it doesn't come preloaded and has to be downloaded. Did somebody install it before you obtained the laptop? Or is it Microsoft Live Essentials, which includes Photo make, Live Mail, etc?

W7's built in firewall should be sufficient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…