thoughts on cd rw+dvd combo or seperate drives

« Ravin » 07:36 12 Feb 03

at present my computer has 2 5½" bays with my cd drive in one and the 2nd one free.. i want to get a dvd drive and a cd writer. so should i keep my existing cd drive and install a dvd+cd rw combo in the second or remove the cd drive and install a seperate dvd drive and a cd writer?

« Ravin » 07:39 12 Feb 03

could anyone also suggest any good dvd drives or cd writers that i could get ? preferably in black ;o) thanks!

€dstow 08:08 12 Feb 03

Separates every time.

For items in black, have a look at click here Most places do black items now either intrinsically black or have replaceable fascias - have a look at Dabs.

€d

Ben Avery (Work) 08:57 12 Feb 03

Think seperates!

BA

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 09:03 12 Feb 03

although i had a dvd combo for quite a time, i recently changed to seperates, the speeds that you get in a combo are nowhere what you can get on seperates, and the cost of them is pretty good as well, £45 for a dvd and about the same for a good fast re-writer,

Stuartli 09:21 12 Feb 03

Rewriters do not have the same lifespan as CD/DVD-ROM drives and should only be used for their intended purchase, with the former being used to play audio CDs, download software etc; even then their lifespan is not breathtaking as manufacturers' figures will indicate.

CD-ROM drives cost from £12 to £15 and DVD-ROM drives from little more than £20-£25 at places like click here which also occasionally offers hardware in black versions on its TodayOnly page.

Even better, although probably sold out now, is the (new, retail boxed) Cyberdrive 36x12x32x rewriter from click here at £29.99 (£35.74 including p and p).

I bought one on behalf of a friend who doesn't have internet access and he's delighted with it. His BCE rewriter had given up the ghost and the Cyberdrive proved to be a rebadged version of the same drive, but with higher speeds.

By the way, the 36x write figure is correct and, to the best of my knowledge, somewhat unusual. I seem to remember that most manufacturers jumped from 32x to 40x write speeds.

MartinT-B 09:49 12 Feb 03

I have a samsumg cdr-w/dvd which came bundled on our work PC - DVD was new then :)

We have NEVER had a probelm with it.

« Ravin » 10:16 12 Feb 03

well i know using a cd rw for regular use playing cd's etc reduces its life.. what about dvd rom ? will it be ok to use it with regular cd's & software etc? if someone could confirm this, i'll tick this as resolved.

thanks to everyone who responed to this thread :o)

MartinT-B 10:22 12 Feb 03

DVD drive will read CDs

« Ravin » 10:28 12 Feb 03

yes, but i was asking about the lifespan. using a cd rw for regular use reduces its lifespan quite a bit so was wondering if that was the case with dvd roms.

so simply put, can i just get rid of my cd drive and install a dvd rom drive and maybe expect it to work as long as a regular cd drive?

« Ravin » 10:53 12 Feb 03

i m looking at the pioneer dvd 106 drive...has anyone had any experience with this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…