Thoughts on All in Ones (computers) Please?

morddwyd 09:02 25 Aug 15

Been looking to replace a large screen tablet and also a touch screen laptop, and someone has suggested that a wireless all in one might do both jobs.

Anybody got any thoughts? I'm usually static, bed or chair, with overbed/overchair table, so the extra weight is not likely to be a major factor but anything else come to mind?

I don't need links as I know which general direction I'm going, just your distilled wisdom please!

morddwyd 09:37 28 Aug 15

^

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:21 28 Aug 15

I've always tended to avoid them as generally they are similar to a large laptop and therefore not really able to change things like the graphics card etc. or add extra internal drives.

Then again I'm a "tinkerer" had my last pc open first day I had it to fit a floppy drive I probably used twice in 8 years :0)

Secret-Squirrel 12:25 28 Aug 15

Anybody got any thoughts? I'm usually static, bed............

I'm not sure that an AIO will be suitable. They can be very heavy, and for use in bed, I doubt very much that you'll be able to adjust the angle of the screen sufficiently.

chub_tor 16:52 28 Aug 15

Is there such a thing as a truly wireless All in One? Won't it need to be connected to a power socket or do they make them battery powered like a laptop?

Dragon_Heart 17:42 28 Aug 15

This is a list compiled by Which

I, like Fruit Bat, would tend to avoid these type of machines, some even lack a DVD drive but take a look at the list and see for yourself.

Many do come with a built in battery and some have an option for an external battery too.

morddwyd 20:02 28 Aug 15

Thanks.

Though in bed, I do have an overbed table so weight is not a factor. My current 15" touichscreen laptop is not exactly lightweight!

I have seen one or two that have a "kick-out" stand like the Surface Pro, and I have a couple of spare optical drives that I can stick in a caddy if required - I also can't remember the last time I needed one - and my homebuild desktop satisfies my need to tinker (which is not as urgent as it used to be!).

Wire less only refers to the keyboard and mouse, I should have mad that clear

Please keep the thoughts coming, at the very least they're making me review my own thoughts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…