Those dam kids again!

sallyr 04:22 01 Nov 03

In their wisdom to install
a cd game from a cerial packet , when told they needed more space on the c drive they uninstalled all games they have'nt used for a while and consigned all files to the recycle bin....and I suspect they deleted them, So now when the pc is started up it produces a black screen with this 'Searching for boot record from floppy...ok' I just thought it would be fixed if I put in the windows 95 start up disks in which we have but then it says either 'Not a system diskette' or ' Non system disk or disc error' Any ideas anyone? We have another pc in the house so could download stuff if required to get theirs up and running! Sorry for the long post... 'CHEESED OFF MUM!'

Jungle 07:14 01 Nov 03

You will need to boot the PC into safemode, its slightly different with every PC, but you either hold down the " DELETE " key or one of the function keys, normally the " F5 or F8 " key while you turn on the PC. Keep pressing it until you hear a beep noise and the PC starts up in safe mode. From here you should be able to use your windows boot discs.

This should resolve your problem, but If you cant get your PC into safe mode, then there are products on the market which can retreive hidden / deleted data. You say you have access to another PC, search the download section under hard disk, there are several recovery programs ( EASY RECOVERY )might help you.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Jungle

Andsome 07:28 01 Nov 03

Why not tell the kids that they do not in any circumstances install or uninstall anything without permission in future?

I know that this does not solve the present problem, but too many kids today appear to do just what they want without any thought of the consequences.

spider9 08:14 01 Nov 03

Please 'Andsome', get a life.
Of course when I was a child, throwing snowballs at the milkman's horse, I was totally aware of all the consequences - as we all were in those days!!
Give the kids a break it's not the end of the world, I presume you were never young??.

The Spires 11:22 01 Nov 03

Leaving children unattended on a Pc these days can have horrific consequences, setting rules as to what they can & can't do makes sense, this is mainly dealing with the internet.

Chris the Ancient 11:49 01 Nov 03

Degenerating into the ins and outs of kids and PCs is not going to help sallyr with her problem.

spuds 11:51 01 Nov 03

sallyr is seeking advice on a computer problem, not on how to bring up kids.(;o((

pj123 13:17 01 Nov 03

Yes, agree with spuds. Don't know if this works with 95 but have you tried a registry restore as it looks like the kids have deleted something they shouldn't have. If there is such a thing as registry restore in Win95 you need to switch your computer on and keep hitting the F8 key until you get a menu. Once there, if there is an option to start in "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" select it. Then type in scanreg /restore and press enter. You should get a list of the last 5 backed up registries. Select a date before the problem occurred and press enter. Then follow the prompts. Like I said I do not know if that option is available in Win95. Someone else, hopefully will confirm or not.

The Spires 00:01 02 Nov 03

Windows 95 does not have some features that later editions of Windows have to recover from disaster. However, click here has some information on recovering the registry. Post back & see if we may be of further help.

The Spires 00:03 02 Nov 03

It is unlikely however that there are any saved registries & I feel a reinstall may be required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…