Thomson SpeedTouch 510 v4 router - is not detected

Litlun 22:10 02 Mar 04

Hello everyone. I do hope you can help me.

I have just purchased a Thomson SpeedTouch 510 v4 router and cannot get it running at all as on neither machine is it detected. It is supposed to be child's play to set up with use of the wizard. If only it was!!!

The wizard tells me the device cannot be detected and provides a list of three things to check, the first two being connections which are ok.

The third thing it asks is that I have the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) installed with a valid IP Address. This is probably the problem I think since I don't know how to install a valid IP address. I wonder if anyone could, in the simplest terms please, explain what I need to do.

For further info -- I am running ME on both units (AMD 750 and 1800+). The ethernet cards are both showing in device manager with no conflicts. I use EndItAll to shut down all progs and firewall etc before starting the installation.

I tried on one machine first then went to the second one (in hopes) but got the same result even with shouting profanities loudly in the direction of the router and switching every thing on and off several times.

In actual fact I think the router IS detected because when it is connected, on boot up I get an "Enter Network Password" box which I don't get when it is not connected.

I really think I need to install a valid IP address before TCP/IP initialisation will take place.

Thank you for reading this.

AndySD 22:43 02 Mar 04

click here is a good place to start.

JIM 23:04 02 Mar 04

Also check out the following. (recap)

click here

Litlun 00:04 05 Mar 04

The problem I had was the TCP/IP settings were not correct. I messed about with various settings until stumbling across a combination that worked. Then repeated it (quickly while I could still remember) on the second machine. Up and running now.

Thanks for your interest AndySD & JIM.

Regards, Kathy

JIM 00:27 05 Mar 04

Glad to hear your ok and many thanks for the feed back.

"until stumbling across a combination that worked"

Can i quote you some time Kathy :)

good luck. Jim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…