Third party windows update downloads

Wizard of Morpeth 14:04 30 Jul 04

I have a laptop with G2 telephone card running Windows Milleniun Edition and a desktop running XP. I want to download the updates that are needed for my laptop and cannot use the desktop to do that as it 'detects necessary updates' and then downloads them. I want to download on my desktop to avoid paying for many megabytes on my vodaphone service when I already pay for broadband - also the download takes so long it often drops the connection.

I did know a website from which you could download and save updates but I have lost its address. Can anyone help?

Incidentally my OS are bought paid for and registered.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:18 30 Jul 04
  GroupFC 15:05 30 Jul 04

Stuartli 18:01 30 Jul 04

If you do the update downloads from the relevant pages for Windows ME using FreshDownload (click here) and name the folder target for them as your Desktop, you can do what you require.

I have an FD Downloads folder on my Desktop for this purpose. It serves a number of purposes. One is that updates can be installed as and when required, they can be dragged and dropped onto a multisession CD-R as a backup or use elsewhere and, in addition, the folder itself provides a backup.

If you use XP and rightclick on a file in the FD folder you will get a panel up. In the Summary tab you can detail what the update or whatever is for and when it was downloaded.

Stuartli 18:03 30 Jul 04

By the relevant MS home page, I mean the Windows Millenium home page at - you'll find links to critical updates and other updates on that page (rather than using WindowsUpdate).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…