Third networked PC

Hetti 14:37 20 Feb 05

I have two PC's wirelessly networked, my son wants to buy a third PC to share the connection also, is this an easy job? I got a PC technician to do the first two but it was expensive.

bremner 14:45 20 Feb 05

Do you have a wireless router or is your current set up peer to peer (between two machines)

Hetti 15:00 20 Feb 05

bremmner

I have a wireless router!

bremner 15:08 20 Feb 05

Should be no problem. Your new PC will need a Wireless card installed. You will need to know if the router has been set up with any form of security.

The easiest is MAC addressing - this means the router is programmed with the MAC address of each PC allowed to access it.

The other is WEP encryption which means you have in effect a password which needs to be inputted into the new machines wireless setup.

If you have no security then when you fire up the new PC with its wireless card in place it should detect the available network and connect to it.

Internet access will be immediately there, however you will need to run the File and printer sharing wizard to enable sharing between the new and existing machines.

Hetti 15:54 20 Feb 05

Thanks bremmner

I remember the PC tech saying he had entered a password (lots of numbers i think) but he did not leave the password with me, he said I would not need it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…