Third attempt - Can anyone help?

WLB 14:00 10 Jan 03
  WLB 14:00 10 Jan 03

How do I set up e-mail so messages can be sent between network users on a Win98 SE peer-to-peer network? Also, is Instant Messaging possible on a network?

LastChip 14:17 10 Jan 03

Use WinPopUp.

You will find it on the Win98se CD ROM.

Configure it to load on startup on each machine, and you can send instant messages to each machine on the network.

E-Mail via the network rather than through an ISP, can only be done (as far as I know) with a full version of Outlook, or a third party program.

If you look hard enough, you will probably be able to find shareware in the downloads section, that will do what you want.

LastChip 19:57 13 Jan 03

WLB wrote; "You mentioned using Outlook to e-mail across a network. Any ideas how this works? Outlook's help facility wasn't very helpful".

It's not something I have been involved with very much. You could do with talking to a Administrator that deals with this type of thing within a company environment.

But in very rough terms, I think it involves setting up the "postbox" and then creating user profiles for each individual.

When a user then logs on to Outlook, it checks the postbox to see if any mail is there for that individual.

Perhaps someone with experience in this field would like to join in and enlighten us!

siarad 20:23 13 Jan 03

There are 2 possibilies when installing Outlook & you need the Commercial not the Personal installation. Sorry don't know whether those names are right but the meanings there. I've never done it but it sets up a postbox on a server for all to use. I could be wrong of course but someone more knowledgable may help more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…