Thinking about putting more RAM in........

geezer13 11:54 26 Sep 03

I have a AMD 2400XP, 512 DDR RAM, G4 4600, etc etc.

I am thinking about putting some more ram in my GA7XP motherboard, what advise can you give me and what pitfalls are there?

MAJ 12:05 26 Sep 03

Very few pitfalls, geezer13, just make sure you get the same type of RAM you have in at the moment, take anti-static precautions when you're working inside the case, make sure you have the PC unplugged from the wall socket, when you're inserting the RAM module press it home firmly but gently so as not to crack the motherboard. 1gig of RAM should show you an improvement. Good luck.

geezer13 12:07 26 Sep 03

Thanks for the encouragement MAJ! I might nip in to PC world tomorrow then if the missus will let me lol.

MAJ 12:09 26 Sep 03

If see's anything like mine, geezer13, you'll have more trouble from her than you will from your new memory. ;-)

mdshamilton 12:33 26 Sep 03

Also make sure you check how many empty RAM slots you have.

-pops- 13:02 26 Sep 03

I suggest you go to click here and be certain of getting the memory you want. If they get it wrong, they will exchange, no quibble.

Save you a trip to PCW as well. If you order today you will get it tomorrow.

vaughan007 13:04 26 Sep 03

Yeah, buy from crucial...I always have and never had any probs.

Patr100 14:54 26 Sep 03

Yes Crucial is the place to go.

Jungle 17:14 26 Sep 03

As people have said there are very few pitfalls , but there are some.

If you are running windows XP then go for it, (presuming your motherboard can take more ) add the ram, and happy days.!!!

If however you are running windows ME, I would be very wary of going past 512 ram, Windows ME doesnt like anything over 512, and it can become unstable. There are programs out there which can help like Cacheman etc, but is it worth the hassle...I dont think so.

Regards
Jungle

geezer13 20:36 26 Sep 03

Am running XP and I have 3 spare ram slots........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…