Thinking about broadband, like some advice please

RussB74 12:41 08 Mar 08

I am on a small limited dial-up package at the moment but am thinking of going broadband with talk talk and have a couple of queries, is the line rental done automatically or do I have to tell BT of the change, and I thought I would have the free wired modem, any advice on this would be appreciated
I do also have a Laptop so would that be able to connect to that kind of modem, I have thought about wireless but there always seem to be plenty of posts regarding trouble with wireless, but I am open to all the advice I can get.
I am on vista premium.

Many thanks,
Russell

john the scone 12:59 08 Mar 08

hi there russb74, been with talktalk for over a year and half, and before that with wanadoo/orange. just in the process of going over to sky for their speak,surf,see package. found talktalk the cheapest at the time and during the contract i had no real problems. speed varied but quite reliable and no limitations. got free wired modem and that was fairly simple to set up. trouble came when i wanted to leave. they tried to say i had to pay £70 and went round in circles, this sounds fairly typical of carphone warehouse though. anyway i complianed as i was out of contract and reported them to ofcom. they actually rang me back and apologised and said i was right and i could leave without penalty. if you go with sky i think they work out cheaper for the whole lot and you get free router and internet security software, its call package is slightly cheaper than talktalk but rental payable to bt whereas you pay eveything to talktalk. not heard much bad about sky yet, just try to avoid set up costs ( £30-£60) connection fee.

MAJ 13:15 08 Mar 08

I'm on the Talktalk Talk3 International option click here. It costs £20.49 which includes VAT, Line Rental (you don't have to inform BT, TT do that), free anytime phone calls to 01 and 02 UK numbers, free anytime calls to 36 international countries, free 8Mbit BB connection and free modem.

If you want to use the laptop around the house and in the garden, garden shed, etc., you'll need to get a wireless modem router, you don't need to use TT's.

Only thing to watch out for is the first bill, mine was £70 as you pay one month in advance.

So far I have found it extrememly reliable. The only thing I don't like is the Asian call centre,

RussB74 13:19 08 Mar 08

Hi, john the scone

Thanks for the very quick reply, I can`t get sky where I live, was looking for a complete package without a lot of running about.
I will leave the thread open for now to see what else may come.

Cheers

stylehurst 14:25 08 Mar 08

Can you get Virgin cable? they are worthwhile if available in your area.

woodchip 14:32 08 Mar 08

TalkTalk works out cheaper, I moved over to it and it saves a lot of money. It all goes automatic other than your setup. To use both computers you need to get the wireless router setup from Talktal;k or buy one then set it up manualy. The main problem is E-Mail, but if you use outlook express it will work OK once setup

RussB74 14:43 08 Mar 08

Hi, stylehurst & woodchip
I live in a tower block and we are very restricted regarding what we can get, like only the 5 tv channels and two of those are a waste of time.
Can`t get virgin cable or any other cable, I guess it will be talk talk in the finish, but I will keep looking for a couple more weeks.

Many thanks to all

Russell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…