Think we may have a virus !

ineedalabotomy 18:39 13 Aug 08

Hi, Would appreciate some advice please. We have the following popping up every time i try to open anything = Windows cannot find '(null)'make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again.To search for a file,click the start button,and then click search. have avg & Zonealarm installed. O.S windows xp home edition.Have tried a full scan etc but is still there. any tips i could try ? or is it more complicated ?...thanks

MAT ALAN 18:49 13 Aug 08

click here

this may help...

ineedalabotomy 14:41 14 Aug 08

Thanks for your reply, have tried to d/load this but makes no difference !should i remove & reload i.e ? i would be greatful for any further help.

Marko797 14:49 14 Aug 08

check my earlier thread and see if any of the symptoms which I had are similar to your situation. Might be worth reading thru it all as some of the symptoms weren't realised until after I cleaned the machine. It might save you some time and reach a decision on what's happening on your pc. click here

Marko797 14:51 14 Aug 08
  ineedalabotomy 08:56 15 Aug 08

Thanks Marko797,managed to install superantispyware & although it found & deleted quite a lot of faults it is still there ! havn't tried running a scan in safe mode yet, would this make any difference ? any further advice before i call in tecnical help ?....thanks.....steve

Marko797 09:39 15 Aug 08

I think we need to know more about ur symptoms, as they sometimes give a clue as to what's going on. Can u relate to any of the things which happened in my case?

Is AVG able to update without problem?
Can u access IE?
Are others anti-malware/anti-spyware able to update?
Can u access windowns update via XP start-up menu/button?
Have u ran a scan with AVG?

Not sure why, but in safe mode more viruses were identified in my case, so would be worth u trying that.

Have u tried Malwarebytes anti-malware? There's a free trial version available click here

In my recent case the remedy took some time, so u'll need to be a bit patient with it. Easy to say I know as we all lose our rag when our PCs aren't working as they should.

Follow the steps which were provided to me in my thread, and u should get clear soon.

I'll check bk, so post what's happening.

ineedalabotomy 18:28 15 Aug 08

Thanks for your input again, Avg seems to update between the constant pop ups (the null pop up all I.E related)managed to install Malwarebytes anti-malware. after approx 30 pop ups & then having to try & delete these to get to the d/load. Have had to leave this PC problem until Monday as it is at work,so will try the new d/load then.(will also try a scan in safe mode, if i can work out how to do it!) To out line the probs in novice terms...constant 'null' pop ups opening multiple I.E pages between tasks !leading to monitor freezing. have to switch between profiles to get back to my profile. A real pain & seems to be getting worse !.....Thanks for now..Steve

ineedalabotomy 17:05 18 Aug 08

Well i have run the anti malware in safe mode,found a few prob but I.E opens multiple white pages, the "null warning seems to have gone though ! am now running the spyware prog in s/mode will check it in the morning but am not v/confident it will work. Any other ideas would be most welcome......Steve

Marko797 17:12 18 Aug 08

AV in safe mode via F8
AM in normal mode

Might be worth using multiple AM progs as some miss/pick up more than others. Use MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware, A-Squared, but not all at the same time. Scan individually with each one on full scan. These are what I currently use.
Which AV are u using? I switched from AVG 8 Free to Avast which is also free.

Marko797 17:14 18 Aug 08

un-install your current AV IF you are going with another AV. Only x1 AV on ur machine otherwise it will cause issues. U can have multiple AMs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009