Things that use power but aren't installed.

SG Atlantis® 17:26 03 Dec 05

When you power things of usb ports like all those novelties. Do they drain much power?

I bought a glowing mouse mat and a mini vac for the desktop. How much power would these use?

ade.h 18:03 03 Dec 05

Not a great deal, I would guess. You don't get masses of current out of USB.

SG Atlantis® 19:08 03 Dec 05

didn't think so but was curious

woodchip 19:14 03 Dec 05

The USB if at the Front or Back only uses Half a amp shared between the ports at the front or back and only use 5volts so how much is that max is Half amp at 5volts

SG Atlantis® 19:26 03 Dec 05

thanks woodchip as always.

So no more than what a couple of AA batteries would provide?

woodchip 19:27 03 Dec 05

yep you could say that, but they would provide a lot more amps

SG Atlantis® 19:31 03 Dec 05

Just trying to get a relative idea in my head, I don't particularly understand amps and stuff.

Will tick as resolved.

Woodchip, you're the man! lol

thanks

Stuartli 20:50 03 Dec 05

The actual figure per port is 500mA and a device may use all of that or pro rata.

You can discover what power each device is drawing from Device Manager.

For instance, from Generic USB Hub (powered hub)>Properties, my ADSL model is listed as drawing 400mA and a D-Link webcam 300mA in the Power tab.

The two USB root hubs (i.e. at the rear of the case), one of which is used for the powered hub, also have a Power tab in their Properties to check on power consumption for any attached device.

SG Atlantis® 21:21 03 Dec 05

under root hub thing, 2 devices are 100mA each and the third is 2mA.

All that's in is usb keyboard, the printer and the mouse mat.

woodchip 21:28 03 Dec 05

That's how much they are using. If you have four USB at the front then each would have 125mA for each port but things do not work like that on USB you could have one port using all the 500mA in one go. So that nothing else would work from other ports unless the item plugged in had its own mains power adapter

SG Atlantis® 21:29 03 Dec 05

2 at front and I don't know how many at the back. The 3 things are plugged in at the back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…