These things $NtUnistallKB73......'s ?

dracsville 17:00 16 Sep 06

My Windows folder has a 60+ long list of $NtUnistallKB73......'s which take up a lot of space in Explorer as well as on disk. I assume them to have been created whilst uninstalling things (I'm very bright!) something I indulge in most of the time. Am I right in thinking it quite safe to delete most of them..?

Diodorus Siculus 17:03 16 Sep 06

They come from installing MS Updates for the most part.

IF you get CCleaner from CCleaner.com one of the advanced options is to delete these and I believe that is the best route to follow.

VoG II 17:03 16 Sep 06

They are uninstallers for Windows Updates.

If you want to remove them click here

pj123 17:03 16 Sep 06

I found the same thing when I switched from Win 98SE to XP. Are they all in "blue".

I deleted all of them and nothing untoward has happened yet. Everything is still running with no problems.

rawprawn 17:06 16 Sep 06

Be careful which you delete, I know that they are a nuisance but I deleted all mine then found out that I couldn't uninstall a beta version of IE which caused me a lot of problems. Delete only if you are sure you can uninstall through Add or remove programs.

rawprawn 17:08 16 Sep 06

I have just read VoG™'s link. That looks good to me.

dracsville 17:14 16 Sep 06

So I think I'll just try to delete the latest (if I can sort them out). We're all doomed!!!

VoG II 17:16 16 Sep 06

If you just delete them they will still appear in Add/Remove programs (with Show Updates ticked) and leave behind orphaned registry entries. Much better to use Doug Knox's program.

Diemmess 17:23 16 Sep 06

..will this work on W2K auto updates as well, or is it XP specific?

VoG II 17:25 16 Sep 06

The blurb says it is XP-specific.

bretsky 17:41 16 Sep 06

Got this from the problems page in PCA some months ago.

Fight the flab

Windows is becoming obese. Since I bought my computer 18 months ago, the windows partition has expanded from 2.4 GB to 3.6GB. I think this is due to windows updates the partition contains:

NtServicePackUinstall
120MB in 56 folders with names starting with NtUninstall....
758KB in 41 log files named Kbnnnnn.log
410MB in servicePackFiles folder.
A folder called ReinstallBackups in the system32 folder.
520MB in a folder called softwareDistribution\Download.

Can these files be saved and used, if necessary, to reinstall XP? If they can, how? If not, can they be deleted?

These files cannot be saved for use if you have to reinstall Windows XP. Some of them can be deleted, but some are required, and should not even be moved to another location. Here is my advice:

You can delete the folder NtServicePackUninstall once you are sure you are never going to want to uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 2.

You can delete folders with names beginning NTUninstall, if the date the folder was created pre-dates the installation of the Service Pack. These folders contain uninstall files for updates that have been superseded by the Service Pack and which cannot now be uninstalled individually.

You can delete folders with names beginning NTUninstali with more recent dates than the Service Pack, If you are sure you're never going to want to uninstall the update described in the knowledge base article whose number forms the last part of the folder name. This will not remove the entries for uninstalling the updates that appear in Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs. However, Windows will offer to remove these entries if you try to use them.

You can delete the KB.. and Q... log files with numbers that match the 'NTUninstall' folders you deleted.

Do not, under any circumstances, delete the ServicePackFiles folder! This folder contains copies of all the files in windows XP Service Pack 2. In essence, it exists to update your Windows XP CD or the i386 folder on your hard disk containing the full set of original Windows installation files. When you install some hardware, or make a change to the Windows configuration, the operating system may need to install some files from the original distribution. If it does, it’ll check the ServicePack folder as well as the original 1386 folder or the Windows CD, to ensure that it Installs the most up-to-date copies of the required files.

The ReinstallBackups folder is nothing to do with Windows Update. Entries are created in it whenever you Install drivers, so that Windows can roll back to the old ones. If you’re sure you will never need to do this it wont hurt to delete them, but you’ll see an error message if you try to roll back the drivers.

The SoftwareDistribution\Download folder contains Windows updates that have been downloaded. It is safe to delete the contents of the folder once the updates have been installed. As we have previously discussed in Helpline, these files look as though they could be backed up and used to reinstall the updates if required at a later date. But because there are different update formats, and some are dependent on the hardware and software configuration, it’s not as simple to do this as you might think, and not really practical, The files In this folder are normally deleted once the update has been installed if you run Windows update in fully automated mode.

You overlooked the hidden folder called $hf_mig$’ in the Windows folder. This also contains some large files related to Windows updates. This folder and its contents shouldn’t be deleted, because these files may be required if you install a hot fix. Hot fixes are software patches that are developed to overcome problems with specific hardware or software. They are not generally distributed, because they aren’t tested to the same extent as normal updates. Copies of the updated hot fixed components are installed in the $hf_mig$ folder so that, even if you try to install an out-of-date version of the hot fix, Windows can check to see if there is a more up to date version of the component and install that instead.

HTH

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…