//some 3rd party need geo

Thermal paste and where to stick it.

Dorsai 19:39 16 Jun 04

No Obscene answeres please, i can work that one out for my self.

I have bought a new heatsink and fan. I got one that is sold as a quiet type. Can't be louder than what i have already. Also got a tube of thermal Compound.

Have an AMD XP2000 cpu to use them on. The instructions on the compound kit suggest i apply it to pritty much the whole underside of the heatsink. Is this really neccissary, or are they being over cautious?

Dont i just need to make sure it covers the die in the middle of the CPU?

That way i can keep a bit left over in case i need some later...

Muzzsjm 19:44 16 Jun 04

You can stick your thermal paste where LALALA

LOL

I generally stick a small blob on the centre of the CPU. Don't cover the whole thing it gets messy. Then when you put the heatsink/fan in place it spreads nicely.

Djohn 19:44 16 Jun 04

Yes, just cover the centre of the underside of the heat-sink. [A little larger area than the size of the CPU to make sure of full contact.]

Spread only a small amount over the heat-sink, about the same thickness as a piece of 80 gram paper. Too much can be almost as bad as none at all. j.

Mikè 19:50 16 Jun 04

An excellent guide click here

Dorsai 20:05 16 Jun 04

That link went into anal (can i say that in this fourum? if not sorry) detail :-o

But it certianly answered my question. never guesed there was so much to it.

At least i know what to do with my tube of goo................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…