Thermal interface material

rich88 23:20 17 Sep 04

ive moved my processor to another motherboard, and the thermal tape,so the thermal interface was already used, i looked at the temperature when i got it up and runing and it was maxing out at 49C, i think it must be the thermal interface material but i can't find anything to replace it, any suggestions for what i should do

Simon_P 03:05 18 Sep 04

For an AMD chip

Thermal paste
click here

Original_Bagpuss 03:37 18 Sep 04

I agree. 49C under load is quite acceptable. But if you are concerned then get some 'Thermal paste' from someone like Maplins, or local computer fairs, or on-line at A well regarded paste is 'Artic Silver'. Be careful to apply only a thin layer of paste to your processor. If used excessively the paste will actually start to limit the transfer of heat from the processor to the cooler. Sometimes less is indeed better than more.

rich88 08:57 18 Sep 04

thanks guys but r u sure thatt 49 is acceptable, with an atholon xp

rich88 09:01 18 Sep 04

also whats is the difference between the paste and pads

rich88 09:01 18 Sep 04

also whats is the difference between the paste and pads

rich88 17:47 18 Sep 04

Djohn 18:37 18 Sep 04

Yep! 49 degrees is fine for an AMD CPU and well within the lower end of the limits of 90 degrees, so nothing to worry about.

Some people prefer the paste, others the pad. AMD used to insist on a thermal pad being used and the use of paste would invalidate the warranty. This may have changed now though.

If you decide to use a new pad or paste then make sure the old interface is completely removed before applying the new one. As above don't use too much paste, just a thin layer about the same thickness as 80GM paper, spread evenly over the top of the CPU, Or the bottom of the heatsink but not both.

If you apply to the bottom of the heatsink, [Easier to do] just cover the centre area that comes into contact with the CPU itself.

If a pad, then you will find it comes with a tear off strip on one side and a piece of clear acetate on the other side which is easy to remove. Remove the acetate and place on the bottom of the heatsink, use a smooth rounded tool such as the plastic end of a screwdriver to firmly rub it well into the base of the sink.

When ready to fit, carefully peel back the the protective layer from the pad, this can be difficult to do if you have not rubbed it well into the base of the heatsink.

Once it is off place the heatsink on to the CPU and fasten as required. Pads need to be heated and cooled several times over a couple of days by running the PC and turning off to let it cool for a few hours before they reach optimum cooling transfer properties.

Simon_P 19:14 18 Sep 04

click here PDF file 15 pages on paste v pads and how to do it

It would seem that AMD condone either now, and paste only for the 64/Optron chips

keith-236785 19:52 18 Sep 04

just for reference, my amd 1800xp tops out at 56 degrees under load, normal running is around the 50 mark 20:23 18 Sep 04

My 3200XP stays at about 45 under load without any case fans.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…