Thermal Compound

Rossi#1 09:22 10 May 07

I finished a self build only to discover the mobo was faulty. The replacement is about to arrive today but I have a new problem.
When I dismantled everything I had to seperate the heatsink from the CPU. Although it has never been used yet will I still have to clean off the the thermal compound thats on it and replace?

Technotiger 09:38 10 May 07

Hi, yes you do need to clean off and replace the thermal paste.

Rossi#1 09:44 10 May 07

Thanks technotiger. It seems to be one thing after another. What do I need to buy to remove it properly?

Gongoozler 09:45 10 May 07

Rossi#1, not only do you need to remove the compound, but you must make sure that it is immaculately clean. Even a small residue of dried compound will prevent the close mating of the two surfaces required to transfer about 100W of heat.

Gongoozler 09:45 10 May 07

I find that meths usually does the job.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:03 10 May 07

How to clean and apply click here

Rossi#1 20:48 10 May 07

Funny thing, but I went into the chemist today and asked for isopropyl alcohol and got a look like I just asked for arsenic.
Anyway, my mums nail varnish remover did the trick and hopefully I got the right amount compound on it.
Put the case together today and pleased to say my first self-build finally started up.
It really is satisfying.

skidzy 21:23 10 May 07

Well done Rossi :-)) i know the feeling after building my first pc last year...very satisfiying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…