Is there a way to make a recovery disk

FatboySlim71 09:20 24 Dec 06

My friend purchased a laptop from PC World a couple of weeks ago, He did ask the sales advisor if the laptop would come with a Windows XP disk, the sales advisor said 'It will come with a recovery disk so that in the event of an operating system failure you would be able to reinstall your operating system'

The PC World my friend purchased the laptop from is a long way away and he has no way of been able to go back to the store. I was wondering is there a way that he would be able to create a recovery disk so that in the event of him having a system failure, he would be able to reinstall his operating system, my friend is a bit concerned with having no recovery disk etc in case his laptop has an operating system failure as he has no means of been able to reinstall it. It seems a BIG oversight on PC World's part leaving a recovery disk out of the box.

Graham. 09:23 24 Dec 06

On first boot, the laptop will give the option to make a recovery disc. Either one DVD or 5 CDs.

FatboySlim71 09:28 24 Dec 06

I cant remember my friend saying he had this option. Is there anyway to create one after the first boot.

anskyber 09:33 24 Dec 06

PC World may have meant to say a recovery partition which is increasingly common these days.

Does his instruction manual mention anything?

FatboySlim71 09:37 24 Dec 06

So if he were to format his hard drive in the event of him having a system failure, would he not loose this recovery partition.

anskyber 09:43 24 Dec 06

If he formatted the whole drive yes he would.

FatboySlim71 09:46 24 Dec 06

So if there is a recovery partition and he has an operating system failure, how would he be able to reinstall his operating system off of this recovery partition without losing this recovery partition.

Graham. 09:51 24 Dec 06

He should have a CD with the user guide on it.

FatboySlim71 09:53 24 Dec 06

I know when he opened the box there was not one cd in the box.

anskyber 09:54 24 Dec 06

I have a Dell PC with a recovery partition. If I need to restore the PC to its factory state I would follow the approach set out in the manual which in my case happens to be on the PC itself.

I took someone with a Dell through the process in Absolute Beginners a few months ago. For Dells it amounted to pressing the correct keys at boot up which then used the partition to rebuild the factory set up for the HDD. It did not involve a reformat in the usual way of wiping clean before a CD reinstalls the OS, if that makes sense.

anskyber 09:54 24 Dec 06

Can you tell us the make and model of the laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…