Is there an underlying cause for problems?

m800afc 17:30 08 Jan 09

Win XP Pro; SP3
Having had to do a reformat and clean reinstall of my system drive, I have been trying to get my computer back to normal. As regular contributors will know I have also been having a series of problems with Acronis TI and Acronis DD.
I now find that I am unable to restore any of the "My Documents" files. I had the foresight (and the drive space) to simply make copies of everything. The copies have enabled me to restore almost everything, and the .tib files almost nothing. I have two full Acronis backup.tib files, each on its own external drive. The simple copies are on their own drive.
I now find, after restoring that I do not have access to a lot of my folders. Investigating, I discovered that a lot of the permissions in the security properties of the folders have been changed, seemingly at random. I can change the permissions of an individual folder, but the sub-folders do not change accordingly. I cannot make a global change to permissions. Needless to say I have spent a lot of time simply trying to get access to my files.
Last evening my mp3 drive stopped appearing in "My Computer" The device manager indicates it is still there, and on examining the properties of the drive via the security tab everything seems fine. I just cannot access the drive. I have tried unplugging all the usb connectors, and powering down, but on reconnection nothing has changed. Today I tried to do a system restore, hoping to solve the current problems that way. Enter another difficulty. All my system restore points have disappeared! I have run virus and malware scanners and they have not indicated a single problem.
The main question is: "Is there such a thing as a default permissions setup for each account, and if so how do I reset the permissions to default?"
The other thing that is beginning to concern me is the growing feeling that there is an underlying cause for all the problems I have been experiencing? I would appreciate comments on this. Of course it could be just me getting it all wrong, but I think not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…