Is there such a thing ..

johndrew 15:59 09 Nov 08

.. as a cheap unit that will take two or three SATA HDDs and will connect to the PC via a single USB port.

I have found docking units for single drives that connect in this way at around the £20 mark, but there appears to be nothing that will take multiple drives unless it involves an eSATA(?) connection and cost around £100.

My reason for asking is that I have two spare SATA HDDs that could add extra capacity to my backup/storage but I don`t need them installed in the PC.

Thanks for any help in anticipation.

Technotiger 16:20 09 Nov 08
  DieSse 16:40 09 Nov 08

How about this?

click here

However, more flexible is a NAS box (google for more examples - but they're up to the £100ish mark.)

click here

DieSse 16:43 09 Nov 08

Sorry on the first link - I thought it said 2 drives - and it didn't.

This one does tho'

click here

johndrew 10:11 10 Nov 08

Thanks for coming back people.

The first link is the type of thing but as I said the price is a bit high. The third link is exactly what I`m looking for - similar to the first but half the price.

I searched but could only find items like the second link and those with higher prices.

Many thanks once again for your time and effort.

johndrew 14:59 13 Nov 08

Having read all that I can on dual (and larger) external caddies I have found a problem. All units appear to operate on the principle that if one drive fails all data on all HDDs in the unit is lost unless the drives operate as mirror type RAID arrays. For my purposes this defeats the object as the capacity of the drives is halved. My intention was to try and use the drives in much the same manner as those installed in the PC - as separate items but in a single enclosure - this apparently is not a practical solution.

Guess I`ll need two `normal` external enclosures to achieve my aim - unless I`m wrong and someone knows how to achieve the goal...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac