Is there a sliding ad blocker?

missjosy 15:06 14 Nov 05

My OS is Win 98SE.

I visit a penpal site called PenpalsNow (one word).
It is bombarded by popups, and my popup software works well. But, it does not block the sliding ads. I have to manually delete them. But even when I return to the desktop, other ads have to deleted.

I have looked at previous threads on popup blockers – I have downloaded Panicware and a multitude of others to no effect on these sliding ads.
Can any member advise me if it is possible to get rid of this annoying interruption.

I have inserted below the properties of the ad in question.
click here

Thank you.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:13 14 Nov 05

I've had a look at the site using Opera 8.5 and Norton Internet Security 2003, my OS is Win XP Pro. I see no ads.

Skyver 15:15 14 Nov 05

Go to your Windows folder, find a file called HOSTS.SAM or HOSTS under the last entry which ought to read `localhost 127.0.0.1`, start a new line and type cdn.fastclick.net <tab once or twice> 127.0.0.1
save the file as HOSTS (no extension), restart internet explorer and visit the site again.

missjosy 15:16 14 Nov 05

Mr Mistoffelees, do you think that your XP pro facilites might be zapping the offender?

Skyver 15:17 14 Nov 05

Sorry, `find the last entry within the file HOSTS or HOSTS.SAM`; lack of punctuation made that a bit ambiguous.

missjosy 15:17 14 Nov 05

Thank you Skyver, I will go now and try your suggestion.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:19 14 Nov 05

I think it is most likely, if not certain, that the Norton's is doing the zapping.

Skyver 15:20 14 Nov 05

Darn my memory - the 127.0.0.1 will be first, cdn.fastclick.net after the tabs - you'll see the format from the first entry.

missjosy 15:36 14 Nov 05

Hello Skyver.
I have found two files. One Host, and one Hosts.Sam and one backup.
Which of the Host files do I choose?
Also need your direction on how to open it.
The icon against each file is contains a picture of the flying Windows.I cannot open with double clik.
I need to select a facility from the File dropdown menu. Open with..

Skyver 15:38 14 Nov 05

HOSTS is the one you need - select Open With... and locate Notepad, edit with that, and save with no extension.

keewaa 15:39 14 Nov 05

open notepad and then open it from there ... I think its the first one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced