Is there a sliding ad blocker?

missjosy 15:06 14 Nov 05

My OS is Win 98SE.

I visit a penpal site called PenpalsNow (one word).
It is bombarded by popups, and my popup software works well. But, it does not block the sliding ads. I have to manually delete them. But even when I return to the desktop, other ads have to deleted.

I have looked at previous threads on popup blockers – I have downloaded Panicware and a multitude of others to no effect on these sliding ads.
Can any member advise me if it is possible to get rid of this annoying interruption.

I have inserted below the properties of the ad in question.
click here

Thank you.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:13 14 Nov 05

I've had a look at the site using Opera 8.5 and Norton Internet Security 2003, my OS is Win XP Pro. I see no ads.

Skyver 15:15 14 Nov 05

Go to your Windows folder, find a file called HOSTS.SAM or HOSTS under the last entry which ought to read `localhost 127.0.0.1`, start a new line and type cdn.fastclick.net <tab once or twice> 127.0.0.1
save the file as HOSTS (no extension), restart internet explorer and visit the site again.

missjosy 15:16 14 Nov 05

Mr Mistoffelees, do you think that your XP pro facilites might be zapping the offender?

Skyver 15:17 14 Nov 05

Sorry, `find the last entry within the file HOSTS or HOSTS.SAM`; lack of punctuation made that a bit ambiguous.

missjosy 15:17 14 Nov 05

Thank you Skyver, I will go now and try your suggestion.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:19 14 Nov 05

I think it is most likely, if not certain, that the Norton's is doing the zapping.

Skyver 15:20 14 Nov 05

Darn my memory - the 127.0.0.1 will be first, cdn.fastclick.net after the tabs - you'll see the format from the first entry.

missjosy 15:36 14 Nov 05

Hello Skyver.
I have found two files. One Host, and one Hosts.Sam and one backup.
Which of the Host files do I choose?
Also need your direction on how to open it.
The icon against each file is contains a picture of the flying Windows.I cannot open with double clik.
I need to select a facility from the File dropdown menu. Open with..

Skyver 15:38 14 Nov 05

HOSTS is the one you need - select Open With... and locate Notepad, edit with that, and save with no extension.

keewaa 15:39 14 Nov 05

open notepad and then open it from there ... I think its the first one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…