Is there a simple program-for serial numbering?

Diemmess 16:04 27 Oct 04

I have to produce certificates showing that some kind soul has donated money to a current village project.

I don't have a problem with the certificate itself or printing 500. I did have the software for doing this which worked (at a push) with Win3.1.1 but the whole thing had to be constructed like a label.

This time I would like to have something I can place precisely on a pre-printed A5 sheet.

recap 16:10 27 Oct 04

Can you not create a document and save it as a Template, would that not work?

Diemmess 16:53 27 Oct 04

It probably would if I thoroughly understood macros and wrote the right one............I'm looking for a lazy way out!

So far the best bet would seem to be to give a PDF of the design to my friendly neighbourhood printer and let him do the actual printing - full stop.

Neutered 16:58 27 Oct 04

Why not use Microsoft Publisher and create one A4 certificate to be displayed in the village shop?

Diemmess 17:51 27 Oct 04

I meant the plural

500 certificates might produce 500 individual donations !!!!!..........village shop OK to inform, but not much individual thanks to donors.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 27 Oct 04

Insert - field - AutoNum

VoG II 17:59 27 Oct 04

You could do it in Excel.

In Excel, ALT+F11 to enter the Visual Basic Editor. Insert/Module. Paste in

Sub Auto_Open

Range("A1").Value = Range("A1").Value + 1

End Sub

ALT+F11 to exit the VBE.

Every time you open the workbook, A1 will increase by 1. Obviously change A1 for the cell that you want the number to appear in (twice).

Derek 18:04 27 Oct 04

What programmes do you have such as MS Word or MS Publisher.
With either of these you could produce what you require.
First set the page to Landscape.
Draw a line down the middle and work on the left side only.
Make up your A5 leaflet/certificate or whatever using eith a word and a publishing programme and then save it.
Select All and Copy. Paste to right side and save under another name.
Print off 250 or so.
Cut them down the middle. ....All done !!

If you haven't got any S'ware programmes, then take a look at PDA's download section, you'll find something there to do it.

Derek 18:06 27 Oct 04

Forgot..
Regards serial numbering, are you sure you want this because things can get a little complicated to say the least ? Number by hand, it won't take long.

Derek 06:50 28 Oct 04

Not PDA but PC Advisor.

Diemmess 09:30 28 Oct 04

Thank you for your input even if some missed the point that < serial numbering > is the problem.

I've searched in vain for cheap/free software that will do this without setting the result in the program's own format

The Excel solution comes close, but the "fancy certificate" is based on CorelDrw and I don't wish to make a hobby out of this one small item.

For the small number involved it will be dumped in the lap of someone whose handwriting is closer to the skill of Caligrapher then my scrawl.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…