Is there a shutdown problem with XP?

TommyRed 19:55 15 Sep 03

My neighbour has just had his PC upgraded to XP by a relation. He was given a very brief and fast talkthrough about how it differs from 98SE. He only got it yesterday and last night couldn't switch it off, any ideas? Also when I install a program in 98SE I close all running programs with ctrl, alt & delete is it the same for XP as I need to get AVG installed before he goes on the web? Thanks TR

cdb 19:56 15 Sep 03

was he doing a restart and not a shut down?

mark500 19:58 15 Sep 03

No need to close any progs when Installing AVG. Just make sure no windows are open.

powerless 20:00 15 Sep 03

Switching it off - any error messages?

"Also when I install a program in 98SE I close all running programs with ctrl, alt & delete is it the same for XP" - Yes, but no real need to do it IMHO.

Peverelli 20:11 15 Sep 03

click here

About two thirds of the way down the page you'll come to "PowerDown issues". The suggestions here solved the problem on my PC.

Peverelli 20:15 15 Sep 03

Yes, ctrl+alt+delete will bring up the Task Manager, where you can End Task or End Process. Careful though, XP needs more than Explorer & Systray to function, best to keep anything named SYSTEM (under User Name) running. I think XP is less fussy about what is running during an installation than W9x.

TommyRed 09:22 16 Sep 03

It appears to be more of a 'PowerDown' issue, having actually tried it myself. You get to the black XP screen 'It is now safe to turn off' but when you press the power button the green light stays on, so I'll try a few of the things in Peverelli's post. Also how much RAM is needed to run XP, it is painfully slow and I noticed on start-up he's only got 32Mb of RAM, he knows he's got to get more but how much more? Thanks TR

Smiler 09:41 16 Sep 03

This is taken from the Microsoft XP site
System requirements for XP Home

* PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
* 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
* 1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
* Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
* CD-ROM or DVD drive
* Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Smiler 09:54 16 Sep 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…