Is there a program which can edit scaned text?

shofiuk 17:37 21 Jan 03
  shofiuk 17:37 21 Jan 03

i got a peice of work which i delelted from my hardrive but i have a printed copy which needs some editing. Can i scan the document and edit it?

« Ravin » 17:40 21 Jan 03

yes, if your scanner comes with ocr support and software

AndySD 17:42 21 Jan 03

Its called optical character recognition
software OCR you often find free trial versions of it on PC cover disks....like Omnipage.

pj123 18:05 21 Jan 03

Most scanners come with a limited version of an OCR. Mine Umax 2100 has Omnipage. Some could have Textbridge. They are not brilliant but they do a reasonable job. You may have to teach it some of the characters it doesn't recognise. Have a look on the CD that came with your scanner. Once you have transferred the scanned doc through the OCR it becomes a standard text document.

colberly 18:27 21 Jan 03

If you haven't got OCR you can download a free programme from click here I have it and its very esy to use.

short-circuit 00:36 22 Jan 03

Just to add that the cleaner and tidier your printed copy the better the result from the OCR. Also it helps if it is printed in a decent font size...like a 12 or a 14.

Any creases in the printed copy can be interpreted as parts of letters and cause problems.

Because photocopies often look as if they are on a grey background rather than a white background, they can be difficult for an OCR to read as well.

So, I hope your print out isn't like many of mine...screwed up in the back of a filing cabinet when I suddenly decide I need it. :-)

Scott

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…