Is there a 'pecking order' between SATA and ATA?

Diemmess 15:43 05 May 07

Hopefully starting a relationship with a NEW box next week.

I believe that while the connection of a SATA drive is quite different from the older ATA, there is no obvious difference when seen in My Computer.......?

Once, partitioning was deemed a good idea, but not any more.
Even so, suppose I partition and fit a secondary ATA HD, but make the SATA Primary drive C: active, will the rest follow - D: and E: etc in physical drive order - SATA drives and then ATA drives........?

Long ago, I had SCSI (two partitions) and IDE (also two).
Both had the first drive made an active partition and they alternated in My Computer! A mite awkward until I became used to it.

Basic stuff, but does any drive which is used merely for data and backups need a partition to be made active.....?

Migwell 16:10 05 May 07

In a word No!

Diemmess 16:34 05 May 07

Thanks, to the point!
There were two other questions hidden there though, I haven't yet acquired the art of brevity!

Specifically
[will the rest follow - D: and E: etc in physical drive order - SATA drives and then ATA drives]........?

And
[Basic stuff, but does any drive which is used merely for data and backups need a partition to be made active].....?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 05 May 07

does any drive which is used merely for data and backups need a partition to be made active.....?

No

suppose I partition and fit a secondary ATA HD, but make the SATA Primary drive C: active, will the rest follow - D: and E: etc in physical drive order - SATA drives and then ATA drives........?

Install sata only at first and load windows that will make it the C:

Then add the IDE drives windows will find and assign drive letters to them.

Diemmess 16:44 05 May 07

That completes the answers thank you.

I just want to be one step ahead by the time I get my hands on the new toy.

Diemmess 16:54 05 May 07

Years ago, I spent a fortune on a 4.2Gb SCSI HD

I partitioned it because I wanted to keep C: small and able to backup easily with very early Ghost, and keep Progam files on the second partition.

Adding a secondary IDE drive gave me somewhere to put other valuable data, but must have had an active primary drive.

The result in W98 was
C:(SCSI), D:(IDE), E:(SCSI), and F:(IDE)

What a tangled web I wove!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…