There is no Excuse

woodchip 11:52 20 Jan 06

For not Backing up your Files.

So don't come Crying if you loose them.

click here

woodchip 12:03 20 Jan 06

^

rsinbad 12:18 20 Jan 06

You can lead a horse to water............

Totally-braindead 12:30 20 Jan 06

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. A friend of mine who just had to get everything reinstalled and had no back ups was just on the phone the other night saying hes in trouble again. And guess what, hes no backups again so chances are he'll lose everything again, perhaps next time he'll learn his lesson.

Or perhaps not.

Good link though woodchip put it in my favourites and I'll email it to him once his computers sorted out again.

woodchip 13:28 20 Jan 06

^

fullyfitted 14:34 20 Jan 06

woodchip,

You have given my conscience a bit of a kick, a back up is one of the things I meant to do “when I get time”

I had been toying with the idea of getting either Norton Ghost or Acronis but from your link it would seem that the Windows back up facility is more than adequate. Would you agree? or is it still preferable to go for one of the commercial packages. I see the cover disc on this month’s magazine includes Genie soft back up, any thoughts on this one?

Thanks again

FF

PA28 14:37 20 Jan 06

Agreed 100%. Applications can be reinstalled. Application data may be irreplaceable. Your precious digital photographs (over how many years?) are definitely irreplaceable. Think about it and do what the man says as soon as you can if you haven't already.

€dstowe 15:00 20 Jan 06

Thanks for doing that, woodchip. I get embarrassed with almost constantly nagging people to do their backups.

We're just about to start our weekly (3.00pm) backups to be completed during our Friday afternoon meeting (which old members might recall - cream cakes and wine? We don't have the cream cakes now though - not quite so easy to get now we're out in the countryside).

fullyfitted: there is nothing wrong with the Windows backup but if you use a commercial package you can easily backup everything so, when disaster happens, you can be up and running in less than an hour - usually much less. We use Windows backup for daily data filing and Acronis for weekly full system backups.

Ooops - late for the meeting.

Pamy 15:03 20 Jan 06

^

pj123 16:02 20 Jan 06

My normal routine is done every Sunday. Clean the computer, check for problems, check for Virus, Spyware etc..

I am now using Nero BackItUp to back up all my drives (except C:) weekly to DVD-R, now takes 6 DVDs. Usually keep them for about 6 weeks then they become coasters, but still a lot cheaper than losing stuff that can't be replaced.

My C: drive is always cloned to another hard drive every 6 months, (nothing changes very much on C:) which is then taken out of the computer and stored.

EJ1947 16:12 20 Jan 06

Good post to remind people of the importance of backing up and to help I found this free utility to create a drive immage click here

Hope it helps out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now