Is there a mobile B.Band that charges per usage?

buel 14:43 20 Nov 10

Hello.
I need to get a broadband dongle but unfortunately it seems that i am unable to find one that is literally 'pay as you go'! Every supplier seems to either be on a contract (even if it is only £5 per month)or you CAN buy 'credit' but it runs out within a month if you dont use it within that month!
Many thank in advance!

sean-278262 16:11 20 Nov 10

Vodafone used to do a laptop adapter that took a normal sim card and worked over their 3g network and you could use a PAYG sim but did work out more expensive than contract, not sure they still offer it but worth a look.

Also have you considered getting mobile internet and teathering your phone to the computer as I do this in a pinch.

buel 20:53 20 Nov 10

Hi, thanks for the help, that sounds very interesting how you tethered it to your phone, how did/do you do that please?

sean-278262 20:59 20 Nov 10

Depends on the phone, if it is a Nokia phone you can use Ovi suite or Nokia PC suite, android phones can be tethered but I have not yet used one in this way but I have heard it can be done, I am sure I have heard apple phones can be done but never paid attention to how but a google will surely answer that.

What type of phone do you own and on what network otherwise I would be here all day listing how to do it on all the major makes.

buel 23:01 20 Nov 10

Great advice+great news- i have a nokia E71 and i have a nokia PC suite....i must get Googling at once!!

ashdav 00:25 21 Nov 10

You can use your mobile phone in this way (as a modem) but it is very expensive and I would recommend only in emergencies and for short periods.

Forum Editor 00:31 21 Nov 10

Unless your phone package includes unlimited free internet access beware of using it as a modem, it will cost a small fortune over a period.

buel 08:28 21 Nov 10

Hi all, thanks for the advice, luckily i only plan to use the mobile broadband once a day to check emails and maybe list an item on ebay so i think this may be the way to go! Please can anyone tell me is the ip address determined my your computer or modem/router?

buel 22:24 22 Nov 10

Anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…