Is there a limit on USB ports?

Diemmess 16:29 25 Jul 05

At the back of my mind.... if I fit >(8) there might be tears?

Reason is - I have treated my younger daughter and 2 G/sons to a much needed new case, and from old SCSI days wonder if there is a limit to the US bus.

Have deliberately not connected the front panel to the appropriate point on the mobo, until I was sure of the pin-out config. (which I have now confirmed) and now wary of adding any more USB ports to the 6 she already has.

The present ports are 2 on the mobo, and 4 on the PCI-USB card. The System is Win 2000 and running smoothly.

Fortunately they don't need 8 ports all at once, but it would be handy to use a front port for their camera and other portable USB stuff.

dan11 16:46 25 Jul 05

127 daisy chained from just one port, if my memory is correct. Which usually, it isn't.

Personally, I prefer to use a powered hub over a pci card. I like the belkin 7 port hub. Fits on the desktop and is self powered. It just uses one rear usb port.

I think the only problem should come from the power consumed from the usb devices, thats why the powered hubs are so popular.

Diemmess 16:51 25 Jul 05

Thanks for that.- Almost all the devices they use are self powered and as things are, they won't need to worry about existing load.

i just wanted to be sure that the front ports wouldn't lead to bothers with interrupts or whatever afflicts hanging too many goodies on one Bus.

pj123 16:58 25 Jul 05

Diemmess, this computer I am using now has 4 USB ports on the back (motherboard) and 2 ports on the front (motherboard risers) I have a 4 port USB plugged in to one of the back ports which gives me 9 USB ports, all of which are usable. I have just tried to install a PCI 2 port USB card which it didn't like. So I guess 9 non powered USB ports is the limit for this computer anyway.

Another computer I have has 2 on the back and 2 on the front plus a 4 port unpowered hub and no problems there either.

Both computers are running Win 98SE with a 2000 processor in one and a 2900 processor in the other. Both have 256mb of ram and 64mb graphics.

Danoh 17:14 25 Jul 05

2 USB 1.1 from MoBo to 7-port powered USB hub, 6 out of a possible max 8 ports connected to unpowered devices. 4 ext, 1 int USB 2.0 ports from a PCI card, 2 out of a max 5 ports connected to high-bandwidth hungry, self-powered devices. All operating without any issues for years.

Meshuga 17:50 25 Jul 05

As dan11 said, 127 is correct.

woodchip 18:26 25 Jul 05

self powered from usb port, No good, as you are limited to 500ma in other words 1/2 amp. You are better with Self Powered Port Hubs i.e. a Mains adapter, it then does not drag the USB power down. If you ignore the above the USB will automatically stop working on items. or it will blow the internal fuse on the motherboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…