Is there a limit to the number of drive letters?

Dan 16:53 08 Dec 04

I realise that in theory there are 26 being a letter of the alphabet assigned to each drive.

The practical side to this is I'm gonna grab another external drive in 05 and this time around I'm going to partition it so if it's a 160gb I'll probably go for 4 x 40gb, which will mean 4 drive letters. If I also partition my other drives I may end up with an additional 10 virtual drives occupying 10 more letters ontop of the existing a, c, d, e, f, and occassional g and h removable drives.

Am I likely to have configuration problems with so many drive letters, and what's the max no. of drive letters I'm allowed.

Many thanks

Dan

rawprawn 16:54 08 Dec 04

I don't think there is a problem

ventanas 16:56 08 Dec 04

Shouldn't be a problem, but you can't use A,B or C of course, so you have 23 to play with.

woodchip 16:59 08 Dec 04

A to Z but some are already taken up by Floppy CD or Dvd etc but that still leaves a lot to go, ether Partition drive letters or if you can fit them all in the case Full Hard Drives

rawprawn 17:04 08 Dec 04

Hi John, I thought you must be on holiday. Merry Xmas.

Jeffers22 17:06 08 Dec 04

As said before, A & B reserved for floppy. C to Z available therefore a total of 24. BUT it is best to leave Z free in case you ever need to use a boot disk which creates a RAM drive, or plug in a removeable drive such as a USB pen drive so really 23. I have an OS on C to R, two data drives S & T plus two optical drives at U and V. The OS's I run are 95OSR2 (one), Win98SE (four), Win ME (one) XP pro (eight) and a couple of spares - All under HyperOs which is an OS multiplier.

If you want more you can put two OS's on a single partition and with a batch files to rename the windows directories, you can effectively double up.

Dan 23:36 08 Dec 04

Many thanks all,

puts my mind at rest.

ventanas 08:28 09 Dec 04

And to you D. Hope to see you again sometime.

Sethhaniel 11:03 09 Dec 04

USB supports 127 devices - if I put my memory stick in it conmes up as drive 'f' - card reader as drive 'g' what happens if you attach the full whack of 127 memory sticks ;)

AndySD 11:15 09 Dec 04

AA, BB, CC etc

Sethhaniel 11:42 09 Dec 04

Ta Gladly ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…