Is there a limit to how much RAM win98 can use?

Grannyann 23:51 02 Mar 05

I recently upgraded my PC by installing another 512MB of RAM, matching the original chip installed. On bootup the BIOS recognised the additional RAM, but Windows 98 will not load and I keep getting "Windows protection error You must reboot your computer" and on reboot will only start in safe mode or just loops through this sequence. Removing the second chip solves the problem and the system starts normally. If the BIOS is happy, why won't the operating system cope? The motherboard is designed for 1.5GB.

Jeffers22 23:55 02 Mar 05

Yew. 512Mb. Oddly, if you have more than that installed when you try to install 98 it complains of "insufficient memory"

There is a work around by fiddling with system.ini but all that does is fool 98 into thinking that there is only 512Mb. Is useful though if you multiboot XP as well.

If you need the workaround post back and I'll dig it out and add it.

josie mayhem 00:04 03 Mar 05

Yep, you've reached the max, for win98. 512mb is the limit for win98.

When you think about it, when win98 come out, most pc came with 32 or 64mb of ram, most software wasn't intentisive on the memory.

By the amount of memory capabilities of your motherboard, I should imagine that it will be quite happy to run xp, and you can up grade to this for about £68, might be worth the investment. If you go for xphome, then this gives you the opertunity to run software under win98. But most maufacturers do have xp drivers update on ther web sites.

Grannyann 00:10 03 Mar 05

Thanks to you all. I will think about upgrading to XP, but everything I've heard about it is not encouraging.

dan11 00:27 03 Mar 05

768Mb is the maximum for windows 98, with Jeffers22 work around.:-)

bobbybowls 00:29 03 Mar 05

what have you heard about xp that is not encouraging
my system has never crashed in the 2 years that i have been running it.

Jak_1 00:43 03 Mar 05

It's worth upgrading to xp, it is as stable as win98se if not more so. I was dubious to start with but my new pc came with it and I have no problems at all (with the os that is). I was previously on WinMe and that was more unstable than the Goodwin Sands!

Jeffers22 08:17 03 Mar 05

My PC has 1Gb RAM for my XP systems. win98SE runs happily on the same PC with 1Gb RAM by altering the system.ini as follows:

add to [386Enh]:
PagingDrive=C:
MaxPhysPage=1FFFF

change under [vcache] :
MinFileCache=16384
MaxFileCache=65536

Grannyann 10:00 03 Mar 05

Thank you again everyone. Much food for thought, and that workaround sounds very interesting.

CurlyWhirly 12:31 03 Mar 05

I would also go along with the comments about XP.
It is a VERY stable operating system and I have had NO major problems with it in the 3 years of using it!

Yoda Knight 12:57 03 Mar 05

"my system has never crashed in the 2 years that i have been running it"

Have you turned it on ??? ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…