Is there a free alternative to System Restore?

Halmer 12:41 26 Sep 08

My XP restore points wont work for some reason and I've given up trying to repair it.

Is there a free, uncomplicated alternative that I can try and trust that does not rely on Windows files that may be corrupted etc please?

H

skidzy 13:17 26 Sep 08

I think its time you treated yourself Halmer :-)

Get yourself Acronis True Image and then you can forget about System restore,as long as you create backups on a regular basis.click here not free though..sorry.

There are freebies that do a similar job,but personaly,i would stick to ATI 11

birdface 13:20 26 Sep 08

If you have Norton Installed switch it off and then do a system restore.Or just go into safe mode and try it.

Halmer 13:37 26 Sep 08

I recall that you are a big fan of Acronis (I think) and will have a look. Ta.

Halmer 13:38 26 Sep 08

No I haven't got Norton. I didn't think that you could create a SR point in safe mode.

Halmer 13:39 26 Sep 08

but none of them actually work.

Technotiger 13:46 26 Sep 08

Are you choosing Restore dates that are shown in Bold print? the dates not in bold print are not restore points.

click here

Technotiger 13:48 26 Sep 08

Also have you got enough free space on your hard drive for System Restore to work - it needs at least 15% of your total hard drive size for it to work.

birdface 13:52 26 Sep 08

You tried it in safe mode and it did not work.You can usually go back to an earlier time in safe mode.Maybe run your security programs while in there.

Halmer 13:55 26 Sep 08

and I have loads of space.

I haven't got a particular problem at the moment but just wanted a back up in case as it's a family PC so I'm not always in control!

I've lost all the points bar one anyway now as I turned it off.

Technotiger 14:02 26 Sep 08

In that case Acronis True Image is most definitely the way to go, as already advised by skidzy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos