is there a faster programme to clean fragmented fi

Ascot Monkey 09:52 17 Jun 06

Hi.

I'm using the Diskeeper 10 at the moment to clear up my fragmented files but i'm finding it a slow process, is there a faster programme i can use to clean fragmented files?

Thanks to all that reply

Taff™ 11:04 17 Jun 06

It all depends on how much data you have on your drives and how often you defragment. I don`t know if there are any faster programs and it would be difficult for anyone to judge unless they use a benchmarking test on an identical system.

You should run a disk defragmenter in safe mode - otherwise background processes writing data to the disk will cause the program to constantly restart - after 10 such restarts you may get a warning about this if you run in normal mode.

If I were you I`d start a defragment in safe mode when you`re off to bed. It`ll be done by morning!

Wak 11:12 17 Jun 06

You don't say which O/S you are running but if it's Win 98SE then I have another suggestion which you may find of interest.
If you go to click here and download a file called newdefrag.zip (near the bottom of the page) you will be able to install this in your Windows 98SE. This is the Defrag.exe file which they now install in Windows ME.
The file comes complete with all instructions for installation.
Apparently, by the time Microsoft had got to Windows ME they had sorted out the Defrag problem.
I find that the Defrag.exe file from Win ME is about 10 times faster than the standard 98SE file and is much more stable.
I have been using it for about 2 years now with no problems whatsoever and it's FREE.

Also be sure to stop ALL running programs including the Screen Saver, A/V and Firewall.

Andsome 08:27 19 Jun 06

If Diskeeper 10 is taking a long time there is something wrong. I can defrag an 80GB hard drive in minutes using Diskeeper 10. You can also set it to scan continuously in the background using 'Set it & forget it'. As for taking all night, this could only happen using Diskeeper 10 if the hard drive was hundreds of GB in size. Also there is NO need to do the defrag in safe mode if using XP XP. The defrag will NOT keep restarting.

JoeC 09:05 19 Jun 06

I defrag a 300 GB drive in minutes.

Try this and see if it helps.

Open Diskeeper and go to Action, then Manual Defragmentation Job Properties.

Go to Disk and CPU priorities, then CPU Priorities. Try setting it to highest instead of normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017