is there a difference fat32 ntfs ?

joeltr 10:39 30 Jul 04

i was reading a posting yesterday about fat32 and ntfs, i was toying with the idea of changing over to ntfs, i am running xp home, my pc is used mainly for my digi- photo hobby, although there are other applications as well, is it worth me changing ?, and if i do will i notice any difference on my pc ?, it seems the forum members have differing views on the subject,advice please, regards joel.

Legolas 10:44 30 Jul 04

NTFS is generally regarded as more reliable and secure than FAT32 but I am no expert. if you want to read up on the different file systems click here

cherria 10:49 30 Jul 04

One practical difference, if memoy servers, is that fat32 has a 2Gb file size limit where as NTFS does not. This is not normally a problem unless you are capturing large video clips from a camcorder in which case with fat32 you have to capture in smaller chunks.

joeltr 10:50 30 Jul 04

thanks for that, will read up on it.

woodchip 10:51 30 Jul 04

It is a smaller files size, Example I transferred a folder from a Win98se by usb cable to my XP desktop, Size on 98 about 1.2Gb on XP it was about 600Mb but that's not the end of the story as NTFS uses a lot of spac other than just the file size to store the above so do not be fooled as for security and being stable I have not had any problems with Fat32. The worst problem is that XP os gobbles space on Hard Drive

joeltr 10:57 30 Jul 04

i have not had any problems atall with fat32, so it may be wise to leave it as it is.i have got loads of free space on my pc, joel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…