There could be a problem for none AMD on SP2

woodchip 13:04 06 Aug 04

And for none AMD users click here

woodchip 14:57 06 Aug 04

?

€dstowe 15:05 06 Aug 04

I can't believe that such a fundamental thing could have been overlooked. If it has, heads should roll.

Gemma 15:14 06 Aug 04

This is an enhancement aimed at processors that can support it (Athlon 64, Sempron (mobile), or Opteron). If you have a current Intel or AMD processor then you are in the big boat with everyone else.

As one of the posts on the site says, M$ could be praised for getting in early.

Timmy!! 15:14 06 Aug 04

This has nothing to do with microsoft making a mistake for once.

They're merely being efficient. They're putting in a security measure that is too new for most processors to handle. The only reason this feature only exists on AMD Athlon64's and the top end server processors is because these are the newest processors on the market.
Its one of the big selling points of the AMD Athlon64 is that it includes so called 'hardware anti-virus'. Its not missing support for intel chips, its the chips themselves that are lacking.

€dstowe I really don't understand your outrage.

woodchip 16:05 06 Aug 04

Or AMD for getting even earlier

€dstowe 16:09 06 Aug 04

Not outrage, just my reaction to the over reaction on the part of the writers of the Zdnet article to, seemingly, promote panic.

woodchip 16:13 06 Aug 04

It's telling people to save there money or buy a AMD64. Would you not rather be told

bremner 16:45 06 Aug 04

What over reaction - they have simply pointed out that a feature of SP2 currently only relates to AMD 64.

If any one is 'at fault' it is Intel for being slow to bring out processors that can make use of the feature.

woodchip 16:48 06 Aug 04

Agree

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…