On & Off - Is there a better/best order

wee eddie 18:31 17 Jun 07

or does it not matter.

Do you just flick all the switches at the same time and let get on with it.

Current Order: PC & Monitor > wait till Windows is Open > ADSL Router > then Laptop if Networking the two. (USB connection through Router) > External HDD or Printer if needed.

All are plugged into an Anti-Surge Bar.

wee eddie 18:33 17 Jun 07

PC > Monitor > Router > etcetera

Pine Man 19:17 17 Jun 07

If all devices are plugged into an Anti-Surge Bar the best way is as follows:-

The anti-surge bar is plugged into a socket, I assume, so make sure it is turned off. Now turn everyting else ON, monitor, router etc anything that has an on/off switch.

When you want to use your set up merely turn the power ON to the anti-surge bar and then press the GO button on your PC all will fire up nicely and in any order they think fit.

When you have finished power down your PC then switch the power OFF to the anti-surge bar. Don't bother switching off anything else.

I have run my system like this for years without problem.

wee eddie 07:32 18 Jun 07

The only problem with what you suggest is that the internal battery will run down faster.

Surely replacing it is going to add more nasties to the rubbish dumps of the world than a trickle of electricity will add to the carbon mountain.

Pine Man 09:44 18 Jun 07

I'm not sure what you mean about an internal battery. Which one are you talking about.

I'm only aware of one battery in my set up and that is the CMOS battery, which cannot be turned off.

wee eddie 10:01 18 Jun 07

That is the point.

When the Power is turned On there is no drain on the CMOS Battery.

When the Power is Off that battery is in continuous use.

OK: So it's good for a year or so without the PC being turned on, but there are a lot of very nasty chemicals in it.

Diemmess 10:27 18 Jun 07

Surely the CMOS battery will last for ages anyway.

I follow much the same path as wee eddie.
On shutting the computer down I switch off the surge-protected multiway bus at the wall.

Losses in the various low voltage power supplies (Printer, External HD etc,) merely being live, make a total of 17 watts with nothing actually switched on.

This rises to just under 200W when the computer is on and in available mode.

So there's the decision, and IMO its a no-brainer.

Either a possible two or even three CMOS batteries in a very long life, or a standby use of about 17W day and night for years, that is one unit for every 60 hours or so just doing nothing with the computer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017