There are no active mixer devices available.

Neill 21:18 11 Feb 07

All very strange. For no reason whatsoever the PC today has lost the sound. I get "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and other hardware, and then click add new hardware". This I can't find.
In CP , Sounds and Audio Devices, all I have in the Audio tab is Modem#0 line Playback, and still no sound to the speakers. Under the Volume Tab, it shows as No Audio Device installed and the Speaker Settings arer greyed out.
Speakers are Tsunami cheap ones.
Any advice gratefully received.

woodchip 21:21 11 Feb 07

Try reloading the drivers for the sound

Neill 21:31 11 Feb 07

Unfortunately I don't have the CD. The speakers have Tsunami Shadow XX - 118A on them. I'll try and find a web site.

woodchip 21:36 11 Feb 07

It's not the Speakers it the sound card or onboard sound in the Computer you need the drivers for

Neill 21:41 11 Feb 07

OK. Just run Belarcs Computer Profile but can't seem to see anything that relates to the sound card. Do you know where I could find out the information? Cheers so far

eedcam 08:43 12 Feb 07

Had exactly the same problem caused by windows update go to security centre disable auto update reboot and it should resolve

Neill 18:37 12 Feb 07

I disabled auto update and chose Notify me... (so at least I'll still get them) but no luck, shame that. Message still comes up with Found New Hardware Wizard saying found Multimedia Audio Controller but the wizard doesn't locate anything.

eedcam 19:17 12 Feb 07

You did reboot after that? also tried a system restore. Strange as that is exactly the same message I had

Neill 19:32 12 Feb 07

Yes I did restart the pc. Did you disable the Auto Updates altogether? I'll have another go. Realise now that when it did restart, Norton kicked in and said there was a security issue and did I want it resolved? That must have been me disabling the Auto Updates which I notice now have been switched back on again, presumably by Norton.
Why does rebooting take so bloody long! Need a new pc i think.

eedcam 22:22 12 Feb 07

Yes I now do them manually not sure how Norton can turn windows auto updates on.I did not create this fix took me a couple of days kicking the cat and google search till I found someone with the same problem.Thats how he fixed it .

Neill 22:26 12 Feb 07

Thanks for your interest. I'll keep trying and trying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…