Is there anyway to make my internet faster?

DrpYourHeartbeat 00:05 13 Aug 09

I have 2mb broadband, i've looked on other sites but they can only give me 2mb over the ones i've looked, is there anything i can download or do to make it faster?

RobCharles1981 00:51 13 Aug 09

First Off

Who Is Your ISP

Can you post your full line stats from your modem/router?

DrpYourHeartbeat 00:55 13 Aug 09

ISP - AOL
Full line stats, i could if i knew what that is lol

beeuuem 01:46 13 Aug 09

Have you checked out the available services from click here ?
The speed will also depend on the distance from the exchange see click here.

Technotiger 07:36 13 Aug 09

If you are with BT, then you may well get a decent speed increase with this, though it does not work for everybody - still, cheap enough to give it a try. It certainly worked for me!

click here

Other than that, there is no way that you can increase the Speed yourself - it is not like adding more RAM or getting a bigger hard-drive etc.

jack 08:02 13 Aug 09

Factors- not all of which are within the remit of the ISP to do anything about.

1. Distance from exchange - approx 3 Km is is optimum- over this and drop off starts getting serious.
2. Contention Ratio - that is the number of people connected to the ISP's equipment within the exchange [LLU]- the more there are to share -the slower everybody becomes.
Popularity of the of the ISP.- As AOL is incorporated into the TalkTalk mob- you will have many users in your area -albeit with different ISPs but all part of TalkTalk.
So to speed up then change your ISP but do your research- otherwise you could wind up back where you started-
As TT says- you know BT is independent so too is
SKY/UKonline - part of Easynet.

birdface 08:08 13 Aug 09

You can try WinasO Optimizer [Free or Trial.]That will speed things up a bit but will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.
If using XP.Try IE7 Pro add-on that will let you browse a bit quicker.Under modules make sure Ad-Blocker is ticked and mini download manager is unticked.Any changes you make to IE7 pro add-on you have to close I/Explorer for them to take effect.

Stuartli 10:07 13 Aug 09

Some of the answers may well be available on this website:

click here

Another excellent website:

click here

RobCharles1981 11:47 13 Aug 09

DrpYourHeartbeat

ISP - AOL
Full line stats, i could if i knew what that is lol

AOL - not good.

What Modem Or Router Do you have for starts ?

sunnystaines 13:08 13 Aug 09

router is faster than a modem, also the latest firmware may improve the speed to.

for speeding up downloads i use the free version of DAP

click here

Stuartli 13:24 13 Aug 09

Go to click here and enter your exchange into the Exchange search.

It will bring up all the details of ISPs and the ADSL services on offer, plus your distance from the exchange (move the red pin on the enlarged map).

The latter will be as the crow flies rather than the route of the copper cables...:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced