Is there anything I need to know before Formatting

Mad Boy 15:02 24 Apr 03

Hi there, I have just backed up some of my data to a cd-r. Is there anything important that may need backing up, such as microsoft office etc? I currently backed up AOL 7.0, Nero, Winzip 7 etc. I have a Microsoft 98Se disk (which i presume is the setup disk?) and i have microsoft Office 2000 (i think word,excel etc is in this disk? Now before i format my pc (for the first time in over 3 years) and (the first time i have ever formatted a pc) is there anything i should be aware of?

Thanks for your time

Legolas 15:12 24 Apr 03

Have a look here it should give you some sound advice.
click here

Mad Boy 15:16 24 Apr 03

Thanks mate, ill have a read and see hoe it goes

DieSse 15:30 24 Apr 03

Your data is the important thing - backing up programs is useless (make sure you have the CDs and/or downloads) , they need to be re-installed, as do drivers for the hardware.

Data includes

Letters - spreadsheets - music - photos - databases - etc

Downloaded programs and drivers

Personal templates - ones you have generated youself, not the standard ones

Email and email address books/contact lists

Web favourites

Registration numbers for downloaded programs

DUN and email account setups - User names - passwords - server names - etc. best to write these down, or print off from the screen.

Setups for FTP accounts - if you use them.

Anything else you can think of.

On the link above - forget the SYS command advice - you don't need it and shouldn't do it - the Win98 CD will do all that for you.

Mad Boy 15:41 24 Apr 03

....DieSse i will make note of these data etc. Well the link Legolas gave me was great, i printed off the info just incase im stuck and need help. I think im ready to format my computer.

One last thing, when installing Win98 does this install stuff like the card games, windows media player etc?

Thanks

DieSse 15:49 24 Apr 03

Yes it does do the card games and media centre - but just the original versions that come with it. Also bear in mind that you will need to load down any Windows updates that you want, after the re-install. This is best done before you do anything else.

Also, don't put in your AV program until you've finished everything - it tends to interfere with other installations - and don't forget to update it as soon as you've installed it.

Mad Boy 15:57 24 Apr 03

Thanks DieSse and Legolas for the pointers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…