Is there any way to restore search

Chegs ® 19:25 28 Jan 04

I was explaining to a PCA member how to remove the "Search for..." on the start/progs list,I found a page that showed howto delete it,but ever since (I tested it)I have been without,as restoring the reg key to active doesn't work.I have just run the "Repair" option,but ½ hour later,still no search for...

I need to have it back,how can I restore it to my puter?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:35 28 Jan 04

click here
download no. 70 ?

G

mgmcc 19:57 28 Jan 04

...or right click the taskbar, select "Properties" and "Start Menu" tab. Click the "Customise" button, "Advanced" tab and tick the box for "Search".

That's because I couldn't find the "tweak" in Kelly's Korner :)

Chegs ® 20:06 28 Jan 04

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoFind"=dword:00000000

Tried this with dword:0000000/00000001 and restarted between times,but it refuses to reappear.I dont use sys restore,so is there any way to repair the registry to before Tue, 20.01.04 click here at approx 4:00pm.I'm just gonna restart it having d/l'ed a couple of other things from that page GANDALF <|:-)>

Chegs ® 20:27 28 Jan 04

Tried both ways and still no search on start menu. ;-(

spikeychris 20:52 28 Jan 04

You cant repair the reg as its not damaged, its just been changed. Have you checked both keys from both hives?

Chegs ® 20:58 28 Jan 04

You've lost me somewhere about the "both hives?" part,which hive would it be that I have altered or need to recreate/switch on ?

spikeychris 21:04 28 Jan 04

When you changed the reg did you change the system or user key? and why use 0000000/00000001? whats the first lot of zeros for?

snowman 21:14 28 Jan 04

Try this it may help

CAUSE
This behaviour can occur there are files missing from your installation of Windows XP, or if some Windows XP files are damaged.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use the following procedure.

NOTE: You must be logged on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group in order to perform this procedure.

Click Start , click Run , and then type the following command: %systemroot% \inf
Click OK to open the INF folder.

Locate the file Srchasst.inf .

Right-click the file, and then click Install . This will reinstall the files that Search needs to proceed normally.

NOTE: In some cases, when you disconnect from the Internet, the problem may occur again, even if it was previously fixed. This is the result of Internet filtering software on the client's network or the user's ISP redirector. You can view the files in question (open them in Microsoft Notepad, not Microsoft Internet Explorer) to determine the source of corruption.

spikeychris 21:16 28 Jan 04

The suggestion from the snowman tends to fix the prob, if not click here

Chegs ® 21:18 28 Jan 04

Srchasst.inf

Not got one of these,where can I relocate a new one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…