Is there any problem replacing IDE drive with SATA

alternator 16:54 07 Dec 07

I have a Dell dimension 9150 with a HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GWA41648 which is past its sell by date. It can't detect blank media but will still read. I have had some recommendations, but they are SATA drives, I thought I read somewhere it can cause problems replacing an IDE drive with a SATA. Are my misgivings groundless?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 07 Dec 07

Are my misgivings groundless?

Have you got spare SATA ports?

Does your BIOS Support SATA drivers direct n the board or you may not beableto BOOT from your DVD drive as first boot device if the HDD gets corrupted.

alternator 17:10 07 Dec 07

Thanks Fruitbat we are getting to the limits of my computer knowledge here, so I think the answer will be better to replace it with an IDE thanks for the info.

dan111 18:20 07 Dec 07

Your fine. Your machine has 4 SATA ports. click here

If the drive comes with a SATA power and data cable, you should have no problems. At worst it may need a quick trip into the bios to reconfigure two settings.

dan111 18:22 07 Dec 07

Specifications for the 9150 click here. This may help you if you want an overview of the inside.

alternator 19:23 07 Dec 07

You just made my evening Thanks. I will give one of the drives recommended by PCAdvisor a go, and try and install myself. Thanks again to all for your input

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac