Is there any data stored in RAM modules?

Klappers 19:57 12 Oct 06

Hi, I'm giving away some RAM from my old PC but I just had a thought - probably a dumb one - but is there any information/data that is still stored on RAM after you take it out of your PC?
Thanks.

Jak_1 20:00 12 Oct 06

Nope, it does what it says on the tin, Random Access Memory. Anything that was in the memory is lost when the pc is switched off, also whilst on the information it holds is constatly changing as you use the pc for various tasks.

Totally-braindead 21:14 12 Oct 06

Just to confirm what Jak_1 says, there is nothing stored on the memory, once the power is off its gone.

Input Overload 21:41 12 Oct 06

I'm a bit like that.

Totally-braindead 21:44 12 Oct 06

Aren't we all Input Overload.

DieSse 21:48 12 Oct 06

It's the D in DRAM that is the factor. D = Dynamic - which means the contents have to be continually refreshed (rewritten) to keep them there. Take the power off, and the refreshing stops and the contents disappear.

The RAM part means something different.

Random Access is where you can access each memory location directly, the same as any other (ie randomly) - as opposed to Sequential Access - like a tape, where you have to spool through all the rest of the data to get to the bit you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…