Is there any advantage in using a USB mouse?

Totally-braindead 16:59 11 Jan 06

Due to problems I had with a new motherboard, which I had to get replaced with another make I was wondering if someone could tell me this.
Is there any advantage of a USB mouse over a PS2 one. I don't mean in the case of a special gamers mouse or anything just in the case of something like a standard 3 button wheel mouse. I mean is the USB more accurate or anything, if there any real advantage?

Stuartli 17:04 11 Jan 06

Apart from the receiver, you only have the mouse i.e. no trailing wire.

A wireless keyboard and optical mouse is an excellent combination - I paid £19.99 for a Silvercrest set at Lidl (rebadged A4Tech products), but have seen similar sets on offer at £14.99 at some outlets.

homer4god 17:16 11 Jan 06

The only real advantage is that with the mouse being usb it can be plugged/unplugged without the need to power off the computer.

I know many people plug/unplug ps/2 mice without powering off but this is not good practice.
There is no other advantage and they should get the same perfomance.

Totally-braindead 17:23 11 Jan 06

Appreciate that, thanks, Stuartli you are talking of a cordless mouse, I was thinking about just a standard mouse, corded, and was wondering if there was any advantage.

bjh 17:58 11 Jan 06

No advantage at all - indeed, you can get a small adaptor to turn a USB mouse into a PS2 (and presumably vice versa). Scroll accuracy, reliability, power consumption, all pretty much equal.

Possibly, just possibly, if you have PS2 ports, you might as well use them, as they are of no other use. You might therefore delay the need for a powered USB hub. ... .... but that's the best reason I can think of.

Go for a mouse that you like, regardless of the port. Ideally, try one out first for "fit"

Simsy 18:02 11 Jan 06

is that, if you need to start PC in DOS, or Safe mode, the USB port probably wont work, meaning that the mouse wont either.

As usual, I'm open to correction!

Regards,

Simsy

Hamish 18:05 11 Jan 06

I have both and can find no difference whatsoever.

Totally-braindead 18:20 11 Jan 06

Ok guys, thanks for that, its pretty much what I thought, nice to have it confirmed though.

woodchip 18:27 11 Jan 06

New motherboard should support USB mouse at boot

woodchip 18:28 11 Jan 06

PS it's got to be switched on in the BIOS for it to work

Stuartli 20:01 11 Jan 06

>>you are talking of a cordless mouse>>

Yes, but the receiver is still connected directly to my system via a supplied PS/2 adapter for the USB plug, which relays the mouse and keyboard actions.

A USB mouse often has a higher specification than a corded mouse, moving/controlling the cursor is normally easier and more accurate and, in the case of a wireless keyboard, it's another cord which can be avoided.

I still use both types of mouse on various system, but much prefer the wireless type and, even more so, the need to regularly take a mouse apart to get rid of the build-up of dirt on the rollers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…